Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Can't Find a Hood Insulation Pad For My 2004 Base Corvette

rvnmedic68

Corvette
2004 24 Hours of LeMons
Last winter a mouse chewed up part of the hood blanket/pad/insulation (whatever you want to call it). I've been searching all the Corvette suppliers and almost all search results turn up the fastener pins only. Or a universal cut-your-own. Or, a $200 pad. Or a decal.

Why is it so difficult to find a simple replacement pad for under the hood? And why are the only ones that are custom fit for C-5 generation so expensive? Would seem that there are a lot of C5 cars out there.

I'm ready to remove my damaged one and go naked under the hood. If I do that, do I risk any heat problems for the hood finish?

Last winter a mouse chewed up part of the hood blanket/pad/insulation (whatever you want to call it). I've been searching all the Corvette suppliers and almost all search results turn up the fastener pins only. Or a universal cut-your-own. Or, a $200 pad. Or a decal.

Why is it so difficult to find a simple replacement pad for under the hood? And why are the only ones that are custom fit for C-5 generation so expensive? Would seem that there are a lot of C5 cars out there.

I'm ready to remove my damaged one and go naked under the hood. If I do that, do I risk any heat problems for the hood finish?

You could try the used recyclers and see if they have any. I would want an insulator installed under the hood to protect the hood paint from excessive heat.

How expensive are talking about for a custom fit C5 under hood insulator?

You could try the used recyclers and see if they have any. I would want an insulator installed under the hood to protect the hood paint from excessive heat.

How expensive are talking about for a custom fit C5 under hood insulator?

One of the vendors sells one for $185 plus $80 shipping (the shipping weight is 70 lbs!). Another one has it for $215. It looks VERY thick. I don't want to pay that crazy price for either. Where are the OEM style pads?
Cheers, Bob

One of the vendors sells one for $185 plus $80 shipping (the shipping weight is 70 lbs!). Another one has it for $215. It looks VERY thick. I don't want to pay that crazy price for either. Where are the OEM style pads?
Cheers, Bob

Ecklers and Corvette Mods have them in OEM style, but they are in the $220.00 range. That price for new seems reasonable to me.

Try a Corvette recycler and see if there any used available. Try Google and Ebay.

Here's one on ebay for $69.00, but he wants $100.00 to ship, and t does look well used. It's listed as:"97-04 Corvette C5 Under Hood Insulation linner".

You could contact the seller and make an offer including shipping to your zipcode, it's worked for me many times.

I sucked it up and bought a new one from Mid America. Over $200. I figured if I'm paying that much, might as well get the chrome fasteners. And they said it was the last one in stock and not sure if they are getting any more. Crazy. Thanks to all for the various suggestions.

On a different subject, I'm getting the Bilstein shocks today. The Blue Beauty is getting ready for a grand cruise in May...

I sucked it up and bought a new one from Mid America. Over $200. I figured if I'm paying that much, might as well get the chrome fasteners. And they said it was the last one in stock and not sure if they are getting any more. Crazy. Thanks to all for the various suggestions.

On a different subject, I'm getting the Bilstein shocks today. The Blue Beauty is getting ready for a grand cruise in May...

I did Bilstein's too, noticeable difference especially on washboard surfaces.

I did Bilstein's too, noticeable difference especially on washboard surfaces.

Glad to hear that! I know Bilstein has a great rep but pricey. In this case, I think you get what you pay for. Thanks for your help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom