Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Can't get oil pan back on

74bigblock

Corvette
2008 Z06
I started my oil pan swap out on the LS4... bought a new pan from Corvette Central. Everything looks identical, but when we try to install the new one... the pan will not clear the oil pump and pickup.

It's strange since the old pan came off so easily. Anyone with ideas?

Thanks!

Are the baffels inside the pan the same as the old one?

Is the old pan deeper?

Did the pickup tube drop down when you took the old one off?

everything appears to be identical.

-I didn't change the baffle, but I think I will swap it out, as the pan came with a new one.
-I don't think the oil pump pickup moved at all... in order to get the pickup to slide in the opening in the deep part of the pan, we have to move the pan over about 1 inch.

I'll take a look and see if I can find evidence of this thing moving on me... but if it is that suseptable to movement... I gotta wonder how it stays in place while the engine is running!

Thanks,
Dave

The pickup tube is only pressed in from the factory.If it moved down and is now hitting the bottom of the new pan,you will need to tack weld it back on in the proper position.It would definitly ruin your day if it came off while driving the car.

It sounds to me that the baffle(probably not the correct name but the steel plate in the pan to keep the oil around the pickup)is hitting the pickup tube somewhere and needs a little trim with the grinder.

There's nothing wrong with the pickup... the old pan goes right back on the way it should. After careful measurements, I found that the new pan's baffle (the welded in one with the trap door) is 1/4 higher in the pan than that of the old pan.

Corvette Central's response was we've sold 5 this year and have not had a problem. Can you send it back and we can look at it?

So I ordered a new one and paid for it just to see if it was the one I got, or if it's all of them. These companies do not understand how to provide customer service... I'm not going to wait for them to massage their colons with a defective oil pan!

There's nothing wrong with the pickup... the old pan goes right back on the way it should. After careful measurements, I found that the new pan's baffle (the welded in one with the trap door) is 1/4 higher in the pan than that of the old pan.

Corvette Central's response was we've sold 5 this year and have not had a problem. Can you send it back and we can look at it?

So I ordered a new one and paid for it just to see if it was the one I got, or if it's all of them. These companies do not understand how to provide customer service... I'm not going to wait for them to massage their colons with a defective oil pan!
Yeah Dave,you did right!!! That baffle is put in there by a Human,and he probly got it in there to high!!!!!I've seen this with a aftermarket pan before and had to modify them!!! Because some times there just not right!!!! What is wrong with your old Pan anyway??:upthumbs

Yeah Dave,you did right!!! That baffle is put in there by a Human,and he probly got it in there to high!!!!!I've seen this with a aftermarket pan before and had to modify them!!! Because some times there just not right!!!! What is wrong with your old Pan anyway??:upthumbs

What's up Junk!?!

It's all dented up from years of abuse by previous owners... then the oil plug nut stripped out, so she had to come off anyway. Instead of repairing, I opted to replace... Silly me! <--------------- MORON. :chuckle

T I'm not going to wait for them to massage their colons with a defective oil pan!
Ok, that one got me to give a little audible chuckle :L

Would you believe that I went through 3(!!!) f'ed up 'custom fabricated' crossmembers from Bowtie Overdrives? Supposedly all made from the same jig. A-wipes!...and I paid for overnight shipping on each of 'em! Actually, I don't even want to get started on that topic. It gets me too fired up! :mad

Round 2 = same result... 2nd new pan is also defective. I think I'll just retap the ole girl and put the original back on. It goes right up there! I'll be lucky if I get this thing on the road by July!

After careful measurements, I found that the new pan's baffle (the welded in one with the trap door) is 1/4 higher in the pan than that of the old pan.
Round 2 = same result... 2nd new pan is also defective. I think I'll just retap the ole girl and put the original back on. It goes right up there!
Strange...but it happens. Any way you can take pictures noting the difference and send 'em to CC? Hopefully they'll refund your shipping, but not likely :(

Round 2 = same result... 2nd new pan is also defective. I think I'll just retap the ole girl and put the original back on. It goes right up there! I'll be lucky if I get this thing on the road by July!
Dave call my son Shawn,He may have one or be able to dig one up!! He's got some BB stuff!!! I'll PM you his #:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom