Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Car wont start after reinstalling radio

black_771

Corvette
1994 Coupe
I just replaced the heater core and used the time to redo the interior in my 94 coupe. When I was getting the aftermarket radio reinstalled (it was rigged up by the previous owner) the car now will not start. The dash LCD screen doesn't light up or display anything, the car will not turn over and there is a fast clicking sound coming from the passenger side dash. The clicking stops if I remove the CCM fuse. All this also caused the battery to drain within a few minutes.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? It worked fine just before I reinstallled the radio. At the very least, what is the clicking sound in the passenger side dash that stops when I remove the CCM fuse?

THat is very odd. Sounds like a short somewhere. I guess the thing I would do would be to remove the radio, and undue anything you did. Then go through and check fuses. My guess is that you blew a fuse for the ignition or the hot wire to the radio that keeps the memory.

As far as clicking, that has me for a good one. I have an older car then you but when I replaced my radio, nothing really came up like this, and all the harnesses were just color to color. Did you get a replacement harness?

THat is very odd. Sounds like a short somewhere. I guess the thing I would do would be to remove the radio, and undue anything you did. Then go through and check fuses. My guess is that you blew a fuse for the ignition or the hot wire to the radio that keeps the memory.

As far as clicking, that has me for a good one. I have an older car then you but when I replaced my radio, nothing really came up like this, and all the harnesses were just color to color. Did you get a replacement harness?

Actually, this is already fixed. I recharged the battery and pulled all the fuses overnight. After I reinstalled them, everything was normal again. I guess I tripped something and pulling the fuses reset it. I've been told that the clicking was a relay that activates on low voltage. I guess the dead battery was right at the voltage required to constantly trip it.

The radio was installed by the previous owner. I was going to bypass the cars radio harness and rewire it like a regular radio, but then decided it would be a project for a later time. The power wire was just jammed into the fuse block. When I tried to put it back in, thats when everything went crazy.

All good now though. The radio even works but I'm going to find a new place to connect the power wire.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom