Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Carb Pros: What is this carb doing?

Do you have the white plastic Holley bowl vent baffles installed in the bowls?

Have you set the float levels in the bowls?

Pull the 4 screws on the float bowl (On the end where it leaking where it says Holley)and check to see if your floats are closing the tapered float valves on that side. There's probably something stuck in the valve. Make sure the float is level to the base when in the full up position. Blow into the fuel line, and raise the float. It should stop the flow of air when it is raised.

Vref said:
When I try to start the car gas is just getting pumped out of here.

http://stonec4.fatcow.com/vette/carb.gas.blo.JPG

What is causing this and how do I fix it?

Blown power valve caused by backfire through the carb. When replacing get the kit to keep the power valve from being blown again by a backfire. Easy fix, couple of gaskets, power valve, backfire protection kit, reset fuel floats and you are good to go.

Randy.

PS: be sure you get the correct power valve.

JohnZ said:
Stuck float/needle and seat.
:beer
That's my Vote!! "Holley a Insurance Agent's Nightmare!!":upthumbs gmjunkie!!

carb

You may have the needle and seat stuck. Remove and clean or replace. Check your fuel filter
Tom

try this

remove the fuel line from the carb,cap the end of the fuel line,start the engine and run it till it stops. this will drop the float all the way and open the needle seat to the max,reconnect the fuel line and if you are lucky the incoming fuel will wash the dirt from the needle and seat. this has worked for me and it if it does you do not have to take the carb apart

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try them.

Vref said:
Thanks for all the replies, I'll try them.

One other thing that will cause this besides the power valve is the oring on the needle and seat assembly. Still think it is the power valve but a new needle and seat with fresh oring wouldn't hurt either.

'Randy

Found it, the float was full of gas.

Its an original 2818 carb, where do I get a float? Do I try to repair the float?

Vref said:
Found it, the float was full of gas.

Its an original 2818 carb, where do I get a float? Do I try to repair the float?
boil the float in a can of water and the high temp will boil the gasoline out of the float and the bubbles will tell you where the leak is so you can resolder it. DO NOT use your wifes sauce pan because the gasoline smell will never come out. been there done that and now use a 3# coffee can on a electric hot plate.new float is holley part# 116-4.

motorman said:
boil the float in a can of water and the high temp will boil the gasoline out of the float and the bubbles will tell you where the leak is so you can resolder it. DO NOT use your wifes sauce pan because the gasoline smell will never come out. been there done that and now use a 3# coffee can on a electric hot plate.new float is holley part# 116-4.

Very clever way to diagnose a problem and correct it.

Excellent advice

I would guess you just "tin it" so you dont effect the weight of the float

IH2LOSE said:
Very clever way to diagnose a problem and correct it.

Excellent advice

I would guess you just "tin it" so you dont effect the weight of the float
after you resolder it put it back in the boiling water to see if you have any bubbles and if not you are good to go

motorman said:

Yep it is leaking along the seam on the solder. It too easy to pay $15 for a brand new one and put it in which I did. Hot iron plus gas= big boom, Not good

Thanks for the part number, It works great.

happened on my car....needle and seat

You know I just have to comment here.I have been playing with cars forever and have run into problems I just hit a dead end with. This problem here would have cost me an entire carb rebuild as I never would have found this problem,and maybee the rebuilder would have missed it also. We are so luckey to have these open forum to bounce a problem off of other car folks,how great is this to have this kind of a resource at your finger tips with all of this knowledge from complete strangers from years of tinkering with cars available. I hope that the archives are available for my children and there children when we are all dead and gone and they plan on restoring some of our cars.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom