Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

carlift for engine removal

macszr1

Corvette
1991 Steel Blue ZR1
I have a very small 2 car garage with only enough overhead clearance to get the ZR1 44 inches
off the deck. The Kwiklift wouldn't get it high enough to drop the engine, but would be plenty
high enough to do everything else. Anyone compared pulling the engine out the top to dropping
it out the bottom for difficulty? Jim Milstead did a description of the top pull years ago, I think.
There are plenty of two and four post lifts out there but the posts themselves take up alot of space in a small garage. -John

Steel Blue '91:w
Forum Newbie

Thanx. I'd never heard of this company.
Do need to check strength of the anchor bolts.
----John
Steel Blue 91 ZR1:cool!:

I know the concrete needs to be a certain PSI and at least 4 inch. thick. Why are you pulling a LT5? Safety first.

why am I pulling the LT5?

I WAS going to just pull the plenum and cam
covers and have the plenum and covers coated
aluminum satin by the local Olympic guys, then
replace all the gaskets and seals to fix the oil
leaks, but then Marc Haibeck said the new "improved" GM antifreeze I used is destroying
head gaskets, so why not go through the whole
top end? The chains have rattled like hell on
start since I got it with 30K on it so might as well do the chain tensioner upgrade, too.
-John:ugh
91 Steel Blue ZR1

I WAS going to just pull the plenum and cam
covers and have the plenum and covers coated
aluminum satin by the local Olympic guys, then
replace all the gaskets and seals to fix the oil
leaks, but then Marc Haibeck said the new "improved" GM antifreeze I used is destroying
head gaskets, so why not go through the whole
top end? The chains have rattled like hell on
start since I got it with 30K on it so might as well do the chain tensioner upgrade, too.
-John:ugh
91 Steel Blue ZR1

Ok, just curious, mostly a 20 year freshening. I'd check out your PCV system for good operation while your at it. That way you help to make sure it does not leak oil in the future.

Yeah, the PCV valve is always the first suspect when you see oil leaks and know what a rep the LT5
has for crankcase pressure issues. The valve was not gunked up and rattles nicely when you shake it. Back to the lift--If each tower weighs 300#, doesn't look like they would move around that easily? Maybe they know I'm Scots-Irish and thought I would enjoy the caber toss!
-John
91 Steel Blue 50Kmiles

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom