Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cat converter

82RL

Corvette
2000 LT. Pewter Coupe
This has probably been answered 500 times here, but does removing the cat. converter from a strictly stock exhaust on a 1982 effect the performance or sound, thanks

I haven't tried this myself, but I've been told that this will help performance, but gutting the cat will make the exhaust sound horrible. Not to mention gutting or removing the cat is illegal, although enforement varies from place to place.

Do you have emissions testing in Sherman?

One other alternative is to go with a modern high-flow cat. Much less backpressure, and not very expensive!

Just like page62 asks, what are the emissions where you live? Some places you can, some places you can't. Like here in NJ, I couldn't do something like that.

I don't know about the sound, but I think it will help the performance and add a little bhp. After all, cats are in the exaust and without them there would be easier flow which would increase hp. At least that's my idea on it.

They don't check for the converter in Sherman yet. I still may look at the high flow just to be safe

I punched out the guts of my cat long long time ago...it dose run better, it dosent sound bad...However I drive my car under 5000 miles a year. So I'm exempt from emmissions here in Pa.

82RL said:
This has probably been answered 500 times here, but does removing the cat. converter from a strictly stock exhaust on a 1982 effect the performance or sound, thanks
:cool I have the factory cat on my 81 but did remove the mufflers,run straight pipes back from where the muffler inlets would have been with chrome down tips. Sounds and looks great,feels more peppy and no exhaust resonation.:beer :w

I have ordered the stainless steel high-performance exhaust from Mid-America which comes with hi-flow cat. Can't wait to hook it up. Anyone else used this product on theirs?

Rather than removing the converter, why not replace it with a modern high flow cat? The new high flow performance cats have almost not restriction to hurt performance and will still meet the emissison requirements.

In Texas cars 25 and older are not tested, so with your 82 you have a another couple of years to go. But the catch is that in the "safety inspection" they check that the emission equipment is in place. But for the Cat part they only look at 84 and newer.

But I would go with the high flow cat, gain performace and help protect the enviroment. :D

tom...

I just replaced my stock 75 converter with a new hi flow from corvette america $109 what a difference much louder exaust and more power that old one must of really been chocking the system

Here in New York anything over 25 yrs. old is only required to pass a mechanical inspection. My car is running headers with true duals and no cats through stock mufflers. It sounds great and made a big difference in performance as well. Check your state laws to see what the restrictions are for inspections, you may be able to get away without having to have cats on your car if they don't have to sniff test it. My cars is 26 yrs. old and only needed to pass the mechanical inspection, no sniff test, which it did with no problem.

san diego ca very stiff smoge insp. here half to have a cat air pump, egr valve, serton gas cap and a vacum canaster would love to throw it all away, I bought this 75 only 9 mounths ago and it cost me $1,500 to get it to pass smoge oh also half to have stock air cleaner welcome to sunny califorina only cars pre 73 require no smoge any thing that year was out of my price range althought I invested a enought now I could of bought one ..............

The original cat was very restrictive. However, if it is replaced with a 'straight through' design that is now popular, it really is NOT a power robber. The back pressure is minimal and you have the added benefit of cleaner exhaust gases.

I'm not a tree hugger, but I remember the 'stage three' smog alerts here in Southern Cal when I was a kid. You couldn't take a deep breath without it hurting just above the Adam's apple. And there were days when they cancelled our little league games because of the danger of outdoor activities. I for one don't want to go back to those days.

If you want true duals, you can put on two cats. Here in California, it is not strictly legal, but you can usually get a way with it. It's sure better than watery eyes and athsma. My kids never had to endure that. Fifteen hundred bucks seems pretty cheap to me to avoid that.

My two cents . . .

Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom