Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CD player...hot tip for old school CD player

Joe8915

Corvette
1990 Blue Steel
Most of you already knew this, but I thought I would pass this along. My CD player in my C-4 is old school. Works ok. But if you hit a bump sometimes it skips. So I went down to Walmart and bought a Zen MP3 player (2 gig) for $70.00 and used the cassette player adapter. I then bought a 4 gig card for the MP3 player. Plays like a charm, no skips and plus I don't have 30 to 40 CDs in the car. I now have over 2000 songs on my mp3 player and gave away all my CDs as well.

Thanks for the info. Does the tape player ever have to rewind, or is it continuous? Wasn’t sure if it has to skip to the other side of the tape to keep playing?

B17Crew
:w

I also bought a charger, which was only $6.00. My total investment was about $100.00, sure was worth it. The sound is great. I did not like the Ipods, due to you had to use a FM station to tune them in. Here is just put in the cassette and thats it.

you can also buy an actual cd player that has a jack right in the front for your mp3 player (around $100.00)
less moving parts to worry about

you are right, but I guess I did not like having all those CDs in the car. I think we had over 100 cds, plus the case. We always had to watch to make sure we didn't store them in sun or trying to hide the case, it was just a total hassle for me. Now I have a player that will fit in my front pocket. I will buying a 8 gig SD card for additional music. As of now I have music that will go for about 5 hours (small road trip), now if I get the 8 gig that should put in for about 12 hours (nice road trip).

I also bought a charger, which was only $6.00. My total investment was about $100.00, sure was worth it. The sound is great. I did not like the Ipods, due to you had to use a FM station to tune them in. Here is just put in the cassette and thats it.

Thanks! I'm going to take a look at them this weekend. I bought a ipod tuner adapter for $80.00. It was alright, but the tuning started to annoy me. I returned it, looking forward to trying the tape adapter.

B17Crew

you can also buy an actual cd player that has a jack right in the front for your mp3 player (around $100.00)
less moving parts to worry about

This might be an option to look into for my daily driver. It doesn’t have a cassette player.

B17Crew

Yep, that FM tunning sucks. I tried the Ipod, forget about it. You can goggle the Zen and find out alot info. Now there is only one down side I found to be some pain and that it the glare from the sun. Its hard to select a song. So the way I got around that is, just put all the songs in one folder and push select to go to the next song you like. With my big fingers, I now can drive and keep my eyes on the road and select music. I think in time they will have it when you can select it from your radio. Maybe in year or so. At least that is what my nephew mention. He installs players in cars, I think it called Car Toys or something like that.

Thanks! I'm going to take a look at them this weekend. I bought a ipod tuner adapter for $80.00. It was alright, but the tuning started to annoy me. I returned it, looking forward to trying the tape adapter.

B17Crew

fm tuning is such a pain in the ass unless you plan to listen to only your mp3 player and unplug your ant from behind the stereo... anymore there are so many fm stations broadcasting that you get so much interference

Yep, that FM tunning sucks. I tried the Ipod, forget about it. You can goggle the Zen and find out alot info. Now there is only one down side I found to be some pain and that it the glare from the sun. Its hard to select a song. So the way I got around that is, just put all the songs in one folder and push select to go to the next song you like. With my big fingers, I now can drive and keep my eyes on the road and select music. I think in time they will have it when you can select it from your radio. Maybe in year or so. At least that is what my nephew mention. He installs players in cars, I think it called Car Toys or something like that.

That’s why I returned the FM tuner, it’s clarity was just not there and the intermittent breaks in reception.

fm tuning is such a pain in the ass unless you plan to listen to only your mp3 player and unplug your ant from behind the stereo... anymore there are so many fm stations broadcasting that you get so much interference

I bought an $80.00 adapter, it did just ok. Before the 80 buck one, I bought a $30.00 one, it was a piece of junk. The more expensive adapter outperformed the low-end one by a wide margin. Big difference in clarity from the same stations between the two.

B17Crew

That was just $80.00 for the adapter, and how much for the player?.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. IPod or MP3. I think when you down load for Ipod you have to do it in different format. I don't know all the details of the formats.

I will say that I share my music and I have no problem of downloading to the Zen.

That was just $80.00 for the adapter, and how much for the player?.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. IPod or MP3. I think when you down load for Ipod you have to do it in different format. I don't know all the details of the formats.

I will say that I share my music and I have no problem of downloading to the Zen.

FYI.. You can import/download any MP3 song onto an ipod using the Ipod software, and you can also use the old cassette to CD adapter ($10 at Walmart) with an ipod using the headphone jack. You don't have to have an adapter that uses the data port on the bottom of the Ipod. :upthumbs

I knew there was alot of options with the Ipod. But I guess there Ipod users and Mp3 users. Pretty much the same, just different applications.

There is also a guy on the internet (if you search around;)) for $50 you can send your Bose to him and he will install a very discrete jack in the front of your radio for the MP3 player to plug directly onto.
This works by using the casette adapter with the cord cut off, you then plug a 1/8" patch cord from the MP3 headphone jack to the radio jack. Cord can be purchased about any where that sell audio stuff. Works very well and when the MP3 player is not in use the little jack is flush mounted in the raidio and hardly noticeable.

Yea, when I had my Bose rebuilt the guy asked if I wanted a jack installed for my MP3 player...additional $20 bucks.....like an idiot I said "no, I don't have an MP3 player and don't expect to get one".....what an idiot I am.

Yea, when I had my Bose rebuilt the guy asked if I wanted a jack installed for my MP3 player...additional $20 bucks.....like an idiot I said "no, I don't have an MP3 player and don't expect to get one".....what an idiot I am.
Hey toms94, where did you send your radio to be rebuilt? I like the idea of having a jack installed. My CD player doesn't work, didn't when I bought the car. The previous owner figured it was from lack of use. I don't have an IPod right now, but I would like to buy one. Thanks.

I'll have to look it up when I get home (I'm in KC at my daughters house, grand baby sitting this week).

It was a place in Chesapeake VA (IIRC). The guy runs auctions on eBay user name is rich72 or rch72 anyway it has his contact info in there and you can probably contact him that way and talk to him. From the time I removed my system to the time I had it back was about a week, so it was very fast service. OK I found the user RCH72

physical address and phone number

SAME DAY AUTO AUDIO REPAIR SERVICE INC.
1228 SOUTH MILITARY HWY. SUITE F
CHESAPEAKE VA, 23320

(757)420-5206

ebay listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/90-on-UP-Corvet...ryZ32815QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'll have to look it up when I get home (I'm in KC at my daughters house, grand baby sitting this week).

It was a place in Chesapeake VA (IIRC). The guy runs auctions on eBay user name is rich72 or rch72 anyway it has his contact info in there and you can probably contact him that way and talk to him. From the time I removed my system to the time I had it back was about a week, so it was very fast service. OK I found the user RCH72

physical address and phone number

SAME DAY AUTO AUDIO REPAIR SERVICE INC.
1228 SOUTH MILITARY HWY. SUITE F
CHESAPEAKE VA, 23320

(757)420-5206

ebay listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/90-on-UP-Corvet...ryZ32815QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks for the help Toms94, I appreciate your response. I'm reluctant to modify the car right now. It's got less than 10,000 on the clock and is totally original (tires will need replacing soon). I'm considering having it judged some day and an MP3 player jack would probably result in deductions. Anyway, I'll keep that contact info, maybe I'll do it anyway. Hope you get some sun in the midwest this summer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom