Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ceramic coatings

henny496

Corvette
1963 Corvette coupe(pro street)
Hello
Has anyone had their headers ceramic coated to reduce underhood temps?
Any before and after comparisons?
Has anyone used header wraps?
I sprayed the interior in Lizard skin, but I am worried about heat from the engine. Funds are limited now, but I am looking for advice ahead of time
thanks
Tom

Hello
Has anyone had their headers ceramic coated to reduce underhood temps?
Any before and after comparisons?
Has anyone used header wraps?
I sprayed the interior in Lizard skin, but I am worried about heat from the engine. Funds are limited now, but I am looking for advice ahead of time
thanks
Tom
I did a search on reducing exhaust pipe heat for my '60 and some C3 people used the insulation to reduce the heat from side pipes from getting into the interior. So for my '60 with the exhaust pipe coming out in front of the frame and then using side pipes down the outside of the frame but inside under the body I bought the header wrap and used it too.

I feel that it has reduced the heat emitted off the pipe up to the bottom of the body.

Do a search on insulation and you will find a number of discussions and opinions.

Herb

Hi Herb
Thanks very much for your reply
How close do your headers get to the fiberglass? I don't have much room and I would hate to ignite the body
thanks
Tom

Hi Herb
Thanks very much for your reply
How close do your headers get to the fiberglass? I don't have much room and I would hate to ignite the body
thanks
Tom
Tom, the headers are not close to the fiberglass at all in the engine compartment (>4 inches). The side pipes under the car are 2-3" away...hence when they got warm the floor got warm. Insulating the pipes cut down the heat into the car significantly.

Herb

ps....need to see some photos of your beast....

Hi Herb
Thanks for the info. My headers are complicated, ....will be trick, but quite curvy in spots and tighter to the fenders than I would like.....just no room there
I will be posting some pics soon enough once it is outside again.
thanks
Tom

I built some headers for my car and had them coated by Thermal Tech Coatings in Hopewell VA. I think they use pretty much the same material as Jet-Hot, but their preparation was (in my opinion) much better.
Charles
04050801.jpg

Charles, those babies are wild!!!! Nice job!

Hi Charles
That is quite a sharp looking chassis and engine set up. Nice headers on it
Unfortunately my set up is diiferent, so I cannot buy headers
I even had boughten a set of shorties just to help for time, but they are going to be too low once the collector/3 in exhaust is under it
I now have a radically modified Hooker Super Comp kit with a few extra bends welded in......tig welding over 35 joints, plus the flanges and collectors
The engine is centered and the drivetrain is on a different angle. With the big tires out back, I had to raise the back of the tranny and the front of the engine is lower. The tranny tunnel is raised and moved over on the drivers side. It still has the factory console and throttle linkage, so it looks somewhat original

I don't have motor mount brkts or the factory steering(front mounted R@P). The master cyl is under the floor. The headers go over the frame and not under it, which makes them close to the fiberglass on the bottom of the fenders
who said this was going to be easy!
Tom

I have heard a lot of good about the Lizard skin. I'll be interested in hearing your take on it once you have the car up and running.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom