Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chambered Exhaust

mike82

Corvette
L82 Pace
I have a '78 L-82 and i was thinkin of ordering the chambered dual exhaust from Mid-America. My questions, for those of you that have it,,,,,does the system bolt up pretty much like stock system? Do the pipes exit at the stock location? Does the system have the deep tone as advertised ? I know switching to true duals from a 2 into 1 with a cat. converter would give a performance boost but i was told i should get a 50 h.p. jump, that seems a kinda high to me... thanks in advance,,,,,,see ya,mike.

Mike, you are not going to see anything near 50hp jump in performance just switching to dual chambered exhaust. I have dual chambered exhaust and I like it. I like it because it is a free flowing less restrictive exhaust. The exhaust is not very loud or obnoxious until you are at WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Boy, does it sound good! The one thing I do not like is the bottom of the exhaust pipes were the rear differential is is sitting lower then it should. It scrapes the pavement when going over a bump once in a while. Need to have a custom exhaust shop fix it up. I have headers as well which helps tremendously.

hey Jeff thanks for the info. i figured mayyybe 20 extra horse at the motor with duals and no catalytic. i think i'll forget the chambered exhaust,i don't want to pay someone to have to fix a design problem if it hangs too low.....see ya,,,,mike.

Our 75 has straightpipe with no crossovers back to some dynomax mufflers. Sounds great and has the staccato of a sidepipe car.
The installer ran the pipes through the holes in the frame where the pre-cat vettes ran them. No part of the exhaust hangs low at all and clearance is no issue.

Mike, you can always just purchase the chambers instead of the entire exhaust too...

Our 75 has straightpipe with no crossovers back to some dynomax mufflers. Sounds great and has the staccato of a sidepipe car.
The installer ran the pipes through the holes in the frame where the pre-cat vettes ran them. No part of the exhaust hangs low at all and clearance is no issue.

that is probably the route i'm taking. i thought the midamerica chambered would use the holes in the frame but it sounds like they don't.....too bad.

The Mid America chambered kit utilizes the holes in the frame where the true dual exhaust used to go. It fits well but I had a pro install mine and he did a great job making sure everything lined up properly. Remember to buy the dual exhaust bracket that should've come with the kit, but doesn't.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom