Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Changing a C-5 battery

Some auto chargers specifically list being compatible with gel batteries, this leads me to belief there might be something between how the gel and acid battery takes charge. I'm no expert but I know deep cycle is very different than regular starting battery and has different charging needs. Could it be your charger is not designed to work with gel battery? Why would some chargers list gel if there was no difference?

Duralast here, going on 5 yrs. in my 11 yr. old C5.

Just thought I would chime on on the battery issue. I changed mine a few years back and I too am a stickler for staying with original equipment replacement as much as possible so I installed a DELCO. I never had any issues with any memory but I did as a precautionary measure use a battery back-up device that you plug into the cigarette lighter receptical that uses a 9 volt battery to maintain the pre-set channels and etc just in case; didn't know for sure it was necessary but better to be save than sorry I thought ;shrug

Oh yeah; WINTER SUCKS :ugh

Bill :w

I had many battery related problems before changing out the posts. Some say that the stock battery post are too long for aftermarket batteries and the negative post does not maintain a good contact because of this. Bought new posts ($3.xx) for a pair at your local parts shop and saw they were the same length as the stock post. Took a file to the post and filed them down a bit to were the ends were falt and not rounded. Installed them and seemed to work for awhile then determined that through all of this with the battery not charging it eventually killed the battery. So bought a new Orbital and no more problems. Was the battery the orginal culprit, or was it not having a good contact?? Oh well. Its fixed...for now.:D

easy to change.
get one of those 9v battery connectors for the cigarette lighter and be quick.

Killain,

Here is a thought which might not be correct but .... if the electrical draw of car is more than the trickle charge output then the battery would never top off and the charger would stay on constantly.
What do you think of that logic?

Keep 'em rollin'
Bill

Killain,

Here is a thought which might not be correct but .... if the electrical draw of car is more than the trickle charge output then the battery would never top off and the charger would stay on constantly.
What do you think of that logic?

Keep 'em rollin'
Bill

Well i think that's a good idea Bill, but the car has only 12K miles on it and it's neve had a electrical problem, I think the charger light is just odd and stay's on even though the battery is fully charged. I've never had a moment where it wouldn't start or cranked slowly. My friend has a lot of expierence with corvettes and he was saying that the 'float charger' will only bring the battery up to close to 12 volts and then shut off and overnight the slow draw will pull it down so that the charger clicks back on and I never see the charger when it's not charging, thus the light is always on when I see it. He Load tested the battery about a month ago and the battery, A Red Top, was fully charged and he said you could weld with that thing? So I guess it's fine otherwise.

?

The range from the charging system itsef should be from 13.8 to 14.4, have you cheked for a dead shot to ground? Then again if the battery is staying up this doesn't make any sense either. Is the charger the type that shuts off after fully charged or is there just an indicator light that changes colors? My battery tender starts out red and when the batter reaches the proper level of charge it changes to green. And will cycle like this as needed.

Good luck, maybe it has a gremlin somewhere :confused in the battery charger or something; didn't know if it was a Battery Tender or now.

The range from the charging system itsef should be from 13.8 to 14.4, have you cheked for a dead shot to ground? Then again if the battery is staying up this doesn't make any sense either. Is the charger the type that shuts off after fully charged or is there just an indicator light that changes colors? My battery tender starts out red and when the batter reaches the proper level of charge it changes to green. And will cycle like this as needed.

Good luck, maybe it has a gremlin somewhere :confused in the battery charger or something; didn't know if it was a Battery Tender or now.

Hay Bill, Yes if that's the range , then my alterantor is operating perfectly and the charger is a 'BatteryButler' by LectricLimited and is a float chager which means it shuts off once the battery if fully charged and I'm starting to think that I'm just not seeing the Green charging light when it's not lit. I tride the charger on my 84 and it works the exacly the same, so the charger is worging fine. i think this whole thing is something that is my own fault in that i just don't see the charging light go out. Thanks !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom