Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing brake pads on C5

maxrevs85

Corvette
!985 ,blue coupe, 4+3 Z51
Friend of mine has a 99 and wants to change brake pads. Anything special to know about doing this? I 've never even looked at the C-5 brakes. Special tools or tricks and what would you recommend for pads? The car rarely sees any hard driving.
Thanks Dave

I haven't replaced them myself, but everything I've read (and seen in a couple of mags) indicates that they aren't any more difficult to change than on other models.

My best advice would be to get a copy of the Service Manual (pages 5-70 to 5-74) to clearly see the procedure and get the proper torque values. The front calipers don't have to be fully removed from the car to change pads:eek

The calipers bolt to a bracket that is secured to the hub assembly (a little different than most systems). This bracket has pad retainers on the top and bottom. Be careful with these; you need to make sure they are installed correctly and not damaged/misshapen. Pages 5-82 and 5-83 show how they look and where they go.

Happy wrenching :)

:beer

J&D , thanks for the info . I'll pass it along. I didnt think it would be any big deal , but you never know. Thanks again.
Dave

very easy, just take out the top bolt and rotate the caliper out of the way. Make sure you push the pistons in (before removal) enough to get the new pads back in.

You don't need to remove the big caliper bolts (attaching to spindle), just the small ones on the caliper itself.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom