Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

changing oil pan gasket on 81

like2drive

Corvette
1981 beige
:Silly Can you remove the oil pan w/o removing anything else? It looks like about 4 " +- between the bottom of the front part of the pan and the steering linkage, and about 1 inch to the bellhousing in the rear. My gasket is shot and I probably would change the oil pump "while I'm at it". (we all know how that turkey flys)

On the other hand, I'm hoping to put a crate engine in next year.:dance (160,000 on present engine which still runs great)

thanks jim

remove the center link from the idler arm and the steering linkage will drop down far enough to remove the pan.

thanks dave L

That's what I was afraid of.:ugh I don't really want to mess with the linkage. on the other hand, thats another project I've never done.....yet.!:puke

by the way dave, does PA. not have emission laws? I noticed your set-up I would love to have....true duels, no cats.....but here in NC you gotta have everything that was on it originally.....doesn't matter if your upgrading would emit lower emissions. thanks again.jim

Jim- It's not really that difficult to remove. You can purchase a tool called a pickle fork
http://www.brandsonsale.com/rid-20678a.html at local AutoZone or parts store. This tool will make seperating the center link from the idler arm very easy. I actually used a small pry bar and it came right off. After you have removed the pan (while its off you may as well clean it and paint it)you simply raise the center link and put the nut back on with a new cotter key.
In reference to my exhaust system.. This topic usually brings a lot of discussion. Federal regulations state it is illegal. But the federals let each state enforce.In PA if you own a classic car (you must submit pictures and the car must 'appear' in stock condition), its at least 15 years old and drive it under 5000 miles yearly you can apply for Classic tags which does not require emissions inspection. You still need to have the safety inspection done yearly. If your car is 25 years old you can register for an antique tag which requires NO inspection of any kind.

for and antique tag, is there any requirements like for classic, and dont all our L81s turn 25 next year?

Yep. Our 81's will be 25 next year. One technicality with antique tags is the vehicle is not to be driven after sundown. I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed for this. I'll probably switch over to antique next year. As it is now,I drive my car over to my buddys inspection station and he just slaps a sticker on it for no charge. He knows my car inside and out and is aware the car is seriously maintained. There is a small charge to change from classic to antique. Does your state offer anything like this? It might be worth looking into.

i have heard of classic and antique, but was unsure of the years, they should be the same in every state wouldnt u think, well i should look into that, wonder if the insureance would drop any, its over 100$ a month now for me, some stupid thing about me being a guy and 17 at the same time, i think its sexist, lol...

When you turn 25 you'll be eligible for classic car insurance. I have my car insured for $15,000,costs me about $255 a year. Stipulations are the car must garaged kept and not a daily driver. Some companys have yearly mileage restrictions. Pretty nice to be 17 and owning a vette! I was 41 when I got mine.

Dave

Dave L. said:
Yep. Our 81's will be 25 next year. One technicality with antique tags is the vehicle is not to be driven after sundown. I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed for this. I'll probably switch over to antique next year. As it is now,I drive my car over to my buddys inspection station and he just slaps a sticker on it for no charge. He knows my car inside and out and is aware the car is seriously maintained. There is a small charge to change from classic to antique. Does your state offer anything like this? It might be worth looking into.

I don't think you are correct about the antique tags. This is from the application:

Classic vehicles are subject to vehicle safety inspection annually. Antique vehicles operated exclusively between sunrise and sunset are exempt from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, but must have their original lighting equipment. Vehicles registered as antiques are not subject to the annual vehicle safety inspection. Antique and classic vehicles are not subject to emissions inspection.

It doesn't say you can't operate after dark, it just says that if you only operate during the day, you don't have to have good lights. I don't know of any Corvette that doesn't meet the normal lighting codes. I have heard the day light only story for years and haven't been able to find a quote that supports it. If anyone knows were to look I would like to know, before I change my 67 over.

The best thing about antique tags is you don't have to have some Bubba poking around your baby....................

well if it cant be a daily driver than that wouldnt work for me, cause i use it to go to school and back, is there anyway around this that yall know of?

SC emissions?

SpartanSith, when I left SC 2 years ago, there were no emission, or safety inspections....has that changed? I believe every state has a different group of legislators that agree to enforce the Fed. emissoins laws differently from other states. I've "been told" at a local car show, that after 25 years the emission test is not required, but the safety inspection is. However, two different inspection stations tell me that no matter the age, if the car had emission equipment originally,(smog pump, cats,AIR,,etc.) it has to be that way when inspected . I believe that you can add, but you can't remove. so far, I ve put the smog-pump,cat, A.I.R.,etc back on, get inspected, then remove it until next year. I probably could have duel exhaust, but both would have to have cats.
Isn't this wonderful!? jim

Dave L. said:
Pretty nice to be 17 and owning a vette! I was 41 when I got mine.

Dave

I was 42. . .
Dave, you also stated Classic plates in PA have a 5000 mile per year limit, is that right? I didn't see any documentation so I have no idea. I was told no mileage limit, but the Insurers usually try to set a limit - the guy tried to get me to say I wasn't going to go over 1500 miles. . .So far, only 450.

Craig

well since ive had the car, i havnt had to go anywhere to get it inspected, unless my dad did it before he gave it to me a year ago or so, but i havnt seen nor heard of emissions test before looking around online in forums and such.

craig32 said:
I was 42. . .
Dave, you also stated Classic plates in PA have a 5000 mile per year limit, is that right? I didn't see any documentation so I have no idea. I was told no mileage limit, but the Insurers usually try to set a limit - the guy tried to get me to say I wasn't going to go over 1500 miles. . .So far, only 450.

Craig

If you go to the Penndot site you can get what they call a "Fact Sheet" on different things. I printed out the one on antique and classic vehicles and there is no mention of milage, only usage, which is:

"Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses. Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week"

That is a direct quote. I'd say that's not very restrictive.

What insurance companies say is another thing altogether...................

Antique and Classic plates

craig32 said:
I was 42. . .

Craig

Craig - I had a chance to look into the Penn DOT website today. You are correct,there is no mention of a mileage limitation but it does state "Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities,exhibits,tours,parades,occasional transportation and similar uses. Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week" Of course driving one day a week is in a way 'a mileage restriction' in its own right.

take care...Dave

That works for me, Dave. I've been in 4 shows and 2 parades, a meeting once a month and whenever I need to buy a case of beer!!

washington state tags

SpartanSith said:
i have heard of classic and antique, but was unsure of the years, they should be the same in every state wouldnt u think, well i should look into that, wonder if the insureance would drop any, its over 100$ a month now for me, some stupid thing about me being a guy and 17 at the same time, i think its sexist, lol...

Washington state is kinda strict about cool plates like that so since your all excited about your cars being 25 years old im sure its diffrent in your state then washington. Here is washingtons rules....

Special Requirements for Antique and Collector Plates

Antique motor vehicles include those vehicles over 40 years old displaying Horseless Carriage plates.

Collector vehicles are those vehicles at least 30 years old and older with either collector vehicle license plates.

A Restored license plate is a Washington-issued license plate designed for use in the year of the vehicle's manufacture. The restored license plate may be used instead of a vehicle license plate or horseless carriage license plate. The license plate must be restored to such a condition that it may be identified with its year of issue. Reproductions of the original are not acceptable for use as a restored license plate.

Antique/Collector vehicles must be:
  • Owned and operated as collector vehicles, and
  • Capable of operating on the highway.

Antique/Collector vehicles may be driven:
  • To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, antique car club meetings, and
  • For testing purposes, and,
  • For pleasure of others without compensation.

Antique/Collector vehicles may not be used for:
  • Commercial purposes or to carry a load, or
  • Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.

Antique/Collector License Plates, which include Collector, Horseless Carriage or Restored license plates may be:
  1. May be assigned to currently registered passenger vehicle, motorcycles or trucks
  2. Are good for the life of vehicle
  3. Are not required to display month/year tab
  4. Are not renewed annually
  5. Must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. If the customer provides a set of plates they may display one on the front and the other on the back of the vehicle, and
  6. May be applied for through any licensing office. Customer provides restored plates.

worked out fine...

Thanks to your fine help, the oil pan is now "curing" for 24 hrs, and I hope to be driving tomorrow, ...or the next day........or the next...
thanks again gang!! Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom