Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing Spark Plug Wires Lessons Learned

golfradict

Corvette
Silver 1981 Corvette with 23.5K miles Nov./2012
I recently replaced my plug wires, I did remove the starter for better access to the shielding. After doing some research I learned some valuable information:

1) Remove the boots off of the ends of the wires on the distributor side to make routing them a breeze, just get a small screwdriver, slip it under the boot and spray some WD-40 in it and the boot will slip right off.
2) The longest plug wires are #2 and #3, because they have to cross in front of the distributor, next is #4 and #1. #5 and #6 are the same then #8 and #7.
3) Just a little diagram I drew for doing my wires. Hope this helps as much as it helped me. :thumbs:

12102b57.jpg

Nice diagram.

Good to see how the lengths stack up.

I still remove and replace them one at a time.

So many people do them all at one time and then put them on the cap "one off".

:w

Unless '81's are different, I don't think the wires are presently in the factory original positions. Number 1 should be where you've got number 8 and so on:

distributor.png

Correcting this would also require removing the dist. and turning the rotor one position so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

I always learned get the dist. in so number 1 is facing cilinder one (when cilinder one has just started its power cycle). So the top picture is right to me :)

Greetings Peter

imagesCA0D469U.jpgThese pics are exactly how my distributor is positioned.

ca4efb04-1.jpgheifiring.jpg

Changing the wires is,to say the least challenging at best!!!
I think the diagram is a great idea!!!!

Wire position change in 1975 with the introduction of HEI.

Changing the wires is,to say the least challenging at best!!!
I think the diagram is a great idea!!!!
The only thing difficult is removing and replacing the stock heat shields, a real pain to say the least.

We Cheated

Had new wires on mine installed as the new crate engine was being installed. As very expensive way to do it but made the job real simple. And those spark plugs were so out in the open then too. :upthumbs

Each assembly instruction manual (AIM) has a page or two showing correct plug wire routing and distributor orientation. The distributor and intake manifold each have stake marks. Bring #1 to TDC, align the stake marks, and the distributor will be correctly positioned. AIM shows the plug wire numbering and location of each on the distributor cap.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom