Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Changing tran fluid in '89

T

tonylong

I've decided to change the ATF, filter, etc. and have all the GM parts.
I know removing the pan only changes some of the ATF. If I also suck ATF out thru the filler tube at the same time will I get much more fluid out, or am I just drawing from the same pan anyway.
Also - is there anything special I need to know about removing the X-brace in dropping the pan. My mechanic is nervous about putting strain on the frame in removing that brace.
TIA

I've decided to change the ATF, filter, etc. and have all the GM parts.
I know removing the pan only changes some of the ATF. If I also suck ATF out thru the filler tube at the same time will I get much more fluid out, or am I just drawing from the same pan anyway.
Also - is there anything special I need to know about removing the X-brace in dropping the pan. My mechanic is nervous about putting strain on the frame in removing that brace.
TIA

I would not suggest sucking it out of the tube. Depending on how many miles are on the transmission you might want to see about getting it power flushed. This way you get everything out of the torque converter, and it clears the whole system.

If you decide to do it yourself, or have your mechanic do it, you don't have anything to worry about removing the x-brace, just crack the doors, and hood while jacking it. I think there is only 3 bolts? on each corner of the x-brace.

If you do decide to do it yourself I would pull the pan so you can change the filter and clean the magnets, and the bottom of the pan.

Unfortunately there's no one nearby that I trust to do the power flush.
I will drop thepan and clean all up, etc. My current question is wil ALSO sucking from the fill tube remove any aditional fluid than will the draining ?

no, it is all in the pan a flush is the only way for a total change

Unfortunately there's no one nearby that I trust to do the power flush.
I will drop thepan and clean all up, etc. My current question is wil ALSO sucking from the fill tube remove any aditional fluid than will the draining ?

I just took mine to a Transmission shop, if they have the machine to do it, they should be competent enough to do it.

when you drop the pan it is the same fluid you would suck out of the dipstick tube. no additional benifit would be gained steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom