Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Charging system fault???

CeeFive

Corvette
2008 VR ZO6
My car is running fine , but the last 6 or 8 times I have started it I get the "charging system fault "code for a few seconds. Anyone know what this means? Thanks.

I got the same thing last week and this morning!

Chuck

CeeFive,

I had the same problem - fixed by the dealer/mechanic after he called Chevrolet Technical Assistance.

The problem was loose and corroded ground locations (not from leaking battery acid) under the battery tray and on the starter motor. Remove the nuts on the ground studs, clean the studs, and reinstall the nuts tightly.

The mechanic said Technical Assistance imediately knew what the problem was when he called.

Please note that leaking battery acid can cause considerable damage to components under the battery tray - including damaging ground locations. This happened later to my C5 after the problem above was fixed.

Good luck.

So far I have read about 30 posting's about leaky battery's and also talked to several corvette club members about this problem. Everyone seems to agree that this is a problem with every C5 at sometime sooner or later. The dealers agree but will only replace the leakly battery with the same kind which to me is dumb. The only real solution is to replace the battery with a Gel-Filled type. My neighbor has a 2K, had this problem and offered to pay the differance in cost between the "GM approved" battery and the Gel-Filled battery but the dealer said the factory could not so they put the same problem back in his C5. (Which he replaced the next day with a Gel-Filled battery.)
:Steer:v

GELL-FILLED is the only solution that I have heard that fixes the problem for sure..........

CeeFive said:
My car is running fine , but the last 6 or 8 times I have started it I get the "charging system fault "code for a few seconds. Anyone know what this means? Thanks.
Hi there,
First, if you have an 01 or newer, a split battery terminal is not a concern. All those have the AGM, or absorbent glass mat technology.
After that, you may need a instrument panel cluster recalibration, or you do not have enough standing voltage in the battery that you have.
I would have the battery tested, and the terminals checked for looseness before proceeding.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

A new optima red top from Costco ended my 'Charge system fault' messages for good. The first time I got the meassage, I took it to the dealer and they just trickle charged up the battery. After doing that myself several times, I got tired of it and just got a better battery.

The stock 525 amp battery seems pretty underpowered in these cars considering the large number if electrical eccessories on it. The optima red top has around 800. The car starts much faster in the morning now too!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom