Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chassis Dyno - Getting the ECM tuned in

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Got the car back today. There was a lot of messing to be done. Had to replace the Narrow Band O2 sensor, the other one had been fouled
ack2.gif
too bad during the initial runs. With the new sensor, settings and a fresh set of spark plugs it was time to get the car set.

First off, there is more work to be done. The way I had the throttle cable set up was very "bubba" and I didn't get full throttle opening
eek6.gif
, more like about 1/2. But right now we wanted to get the car so it would run, idle, not pitch so much blue smoke out of the exhaust that the car was confused with the local bug fogger
nono.gif
. We accomplished all of that.

I have a hit list of things I need to do. First off, I need to give the rear end just a bit more spring rate, a few hard turns and the right rear tire was rubbing where we did the mini-tub inside the wheel wells. Not a big deal, just need to make some adjustments to the springs and perhaps the panhard bar (more to the passenger side, maybe). The other adjustment I can make is to move the rear axle back slightly by adjusting the 4 links out. I don't need a lot of room and if the wheels can stand a bit more adjustment to the rear it looks like that is where I need to clear (looking in at the tire around the 1:00 or 2:00 position is where the tire looks to be rubbing). I had gone with a wheel that had a 4.5" backspace instead of the 4" backspace. I think if it is going to rub I would prefer inside the wheel wells at the top than to rub the wheel well lip, that could be bad!

My initial thoughts when I was scooting along is that even with less than full throttle it really kicked. Jeff at CRT Performance in Norwalk did the tuning and trouble shooting of the electronic controls and got the left and right side throttle plates set to flow the same amount of air at idle.

When all was said and done we pulled one plug out and we both smiled as it was tan! Before when we pulled all the plugs out they would be BLACK and often soaked in gas. He was able to lead up the cold start and smoothed out the driveability.

All in all, I am quite pleased. My hit list of items after driving it.....

1. Put driving wheels on the front - the added clearance is a must. I like showing the car with the 17" wheels but the 18" wheels and taller tires for the front are needed for driving.

2. Get the motor breathing changed (again), I am resisting putting holes in my chromed valve covers. So I have a few plans in place to try.

3. design the new throttle cable holder and get full throttle opening

4. install proportional brake valve ( I wanted to see how it worked without it, and it worked, but you needed to be Hercules to stop).

In the mean time here are some pics and a link to youtube video of the car running by. No horsepower numbers available as of yet since we were only at part throttle opening. I promise to show the graphs when we can get the throttle opening proper. I will share with everyone that the torque even with 1/2 throttle opening peaked at 320 foot pounds! So with full throttle it should be much better.

GS8J5593aSmall-vi.jpg

GS8J5590aSmall-vi.jpg

GS8J5585aSmall-vi.jpg

GS8J5610aSmall-vi.jpg

on the last run, the data logger for the dyno was set to stop when we got to 100mph. We got there, even with not having full throttle!
GS8J5579aSmall-vi.jpg

GS8J5581aSmall-vi.jpg

IMG_2748aSmall-vi.jpg

I have no idea how fast we were going down the road (I haven't hooked up the speedo cable, got it, just one more thing to do). But I could tell by the way we were closing on other cars that she really scoots! Better get those brakes up to snuff!

Link to YOUTUBE Video, you have to play this to hear the car run by....it sounds GREAT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDyaFMko4Ps

Inside the new trailer....to make strapping down the car easier, I bought threaded eye hooks for the rear. Very easy to strap down the car now by hooking onto the stainless steel eyes with the straps.
IMG_2757aSmall-vi.jpg

Truck and trailer...RED of course!
rofl.gif

IMG_2765aSmall-vi.jpg

thats it for now.....when I get the throttle cable mount in place, I will post some photos. It will need to be machined, so I need to design it and then get it to my machinist......stay tuned!!!!

Herb

Sounds like it's almost done.

Now the Big Question.......Will we see it this year at Corvette's @ Carlisle?? :D

make sure the oil temp is within 2 degrees and the fuel temp is within 5 degrees or your dyno test will not be a reliable comparison

Now the Big Question.......Will we see it this year at Corvette's @ Carlisle?? :D
and the answer is.......YES!!!! I will be there with it and you will get a chance to see it up close and personal......ha-ha.....:rotfl

make sure the oil temp is within 2 degrees and the fuel temp is within 5 degrees or your dyno test will not be a reliable comparison
she was plenty warm....enough that my first attempt to make a breather for the motor didn't work to my satisfaction. So I have come up with another solution to try.....if the next one I try works and passes the dyno tests with out getting oil where I don't want it, then I will share photos.....in the meantime....stand by!

and the answer is.......YES!!!! I will be there with it and you will get a chance to see it up close and personal......ha-ha.....:rotfl

Great.. Now all we have to do is talk you into leaving that big red trailer home and driving out in that 8 Barrel FI gas hog...;LOL

Great.. Now all we have to do is talk you into leaving that big red trailer home and driving out in that 8 Barrel FI gas hog...;LOL
it is so close to the ground, I like to drive where I know the road.....between here and Cleveland is enough holes to eat the car never mind bottom it out.....but you will see it.....you won't be able to miss it!:rotfl

it has the Tremec TKO600 5 Speed and in fifth gear she cruises at a real low RPM.....so if I was to drive it out there, you would have to watch your rear view mirror as I over took you....would hate to have to lock em up.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom