Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Check engine soon & p/s sluggish - any connection?

froggy47

Corvette
Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16
1996 lt4 63k miles stock.
I was near the middle of a 90 mile freeway drive to autox event & check engine soon comes on.
Car continued to run fine & strong.
After my 1st run (ambient temps about 75 sunny) I noticed that the steering was noticably harder to turn. I did 2 more runs, when the rpm's are up it seems better. At idle can barely turn the wheel. At a low speed low rpm turn the p/s seems to come on/off.
On the way home topped 100 a couple of times with "ck engine soon" light still on.
At home at idle the power steering is still BAD/weak can barely turn wheel without revving.
1) Any connection between the two?
2) How do I pull codes on a 1996 (obd2). Something about shorting across the plug and read the flashes?
I may just buy a code reader.
Thanks for any help.
:)

I don't about that power steering thing. I guess the codes should be corrected first then, if it is related you'll clear both up at the same time.
I use auto tap for ODB2 stuff. The software's about $200 and plug a notebook into the car's computer. If you don't own a notebook I think they sell a code reader or you can use a palm. Lot's of options. I'm sure other have favorites they use. Anyway....check it out....Autotap.com

I use EASE diagnostics with an old laptop that I have dedicated to the purpose. You can find them at obd2.com.

If you don't want to buy anything just go to the nearest Autozone and they will pull the codes for free. They will then, of course, want to sell you whatever sensor is involved with that code which is not always the problem. Just tell them you will investigate the code and come back for parts later, post the code here and work through it.

Good luck,

Is there any noise associated with the problem, like a squeal?

If so, it's possible that your PS pump is freezing up, causing the belt to slip which might affect alternator output thus causing the Check Engine light to come on.

In any case, I'd start with a good look at the PS pump.

No noise, just hard to turn. Fluid is fresh & full.

Code is p0300 (misfire?)

Does not tell me much.

Is your fan belt slipping? If so, it will get hot real fast. You might have any of the pulleys in the system with failing bearings: p/s pump, alternator, water pump, tension idler, a/c compressor, smog pump. Remove your belt and turn each unit by hand to find the culprit. Is your steering stiff only with the a/c on? If none of the manual tests above find anything tight, could it be the a/c compressor? Of course, the a/c clutch will be released when the engine is off, so the pulley will rotate easily by hand even if your compressor is shot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom