Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

checking tire pressure...

Edmond

Corvette
2003 Z06
I should check the tire pressure after I have driven for a few miles to make sure the tires are at proper operating temperature before I check the pressure right? If not, I will get an incorrect reading right?

Nope - you should check them cold; if they're warm, they will be at 2-4 psi higher pressure than when they're cold. Manufacturer's tire pressure recommendations are for a COLD tire. You'll find this in your Owner's Manual too. :beer

Umm replying to a 9 year old post with gobble-de-gook? :ugh

it is best to check the tire pressure cold. by the way got this article on how to check tire pressure.

PSI is calculated by the steps on a fatigue air demand evaluate or with a variety examining on electronic features. To discover out what PSI is right for your wheels, look on the wheels themselves. In the brought up composing on the part of the wheels, you should discover "recommended PSI" or "PSI suggested at ..." or identical, with the appropriate determine for your wheels. Many periods this variety on the fatigue is mentioned as a maximum; you can also seek advice from your user guide or the tag on the entrance of the generating part. When selecting new wheels, or getting a revolving, it's a great concept to ask what the suitable demand is.

Recommendations may differ, but you should never fill the wheels five PSI more or less than what is suggested on the fatigue. Under-inflating would use out the edges of the fatigue, and is actually a generating threat. Over-inflated wheels will use more easily, and are also risky because of the improved probability of a seasonal. If you are uncertain about the PSI for your wheels, or it is not yet determined or used away on the part of your wheels, ask your auto mechanic or someone who knows about automobiles what PSI you should have for your wheels.

Smaller lightweight and mid-size sedans generally have PSI stages between 30 and 40 PSI. Larger automobiles with larger wheels, such as bigger sedans, usually have greater demand, around 45 PSI. These are common PSI results, and the most precise PSI for your wheels is the variety detailed on the part. Tires should all be overpriced to the same PSI for protection, appropriate car operate, relaxation, and petrol performance.

Also, examine your car fatigue demand when the wheels are freezing. This implies the wheels should not have been pushed on for at least three time. If you need to generate to get air, try to generate less than a kilometer. Or, a little bit under-inflate the wheels to cover for the hotter air within them, and then examine the demand again when you can get a freezing examining.

To get a PSI examining on your fatigue, position the air demand evaluate onto the tire's device come, the pencil-width air misting nozzle on the part of the fatigue. Try to position the evaluate equally onto the device come. This will allow air to break free, but once you strongly media the evaluate down on the device come, it will quit the circulation of air and provides your evaluate a examining, either by ruining out the metered keep with a conventional evaluate, or a examining with a electronic style evaluate.

Edmond, since your Z06 does not have a TPS system, you are relegated to using an after market hand tool to measure the tire pressure. The advice is correct to check them cold, as the sticker inside the door states.
One problem I have run into is the tool itself. Two of my vettes have the TPS system and I have found that the readings differ between my hand held tools and the GM OEM sensors that deliver the read-out on the DIC. The readings differ between types of tools also. I asked a World Class GM tech about this and he said that the TPS systems on my C5 and C6 Corvettes were more accurate than the hand held tools. When I put my C6 into storage last fall, I had to remove the right rear tire to have a puncture repaired. Took it to a Chevy dealer that I trust. After repair, they inflated the tire to the pressure listed on the door frame. I immediately checked the tire pressure with my electronic air pressure tool, and found it to be 5 psi less than the dealer's gage. I have an identical electronic gage at home and re-checked with both of them on the repaired tire. They both indicated the same psi, but were 5 psi less. A pencil gage I have was more than 5 psi less and a round gage was about 5 psi less.
So this leaves us all with the problem of which air gage is correct. Driving back from Bowling Green last year, the DIC on my C5 informed me that I had a low tire pressure. Ran thru the settings and found the pressure to be about 8 psi less than the recommended pressure. I had checked them with my electronic hand held device before leaving Denver for BG. I filled the tires at a truck stop outside Topeka and used the TPS system value. Of course, my miles per gallon increased with the increase in tire pressure. When I arrived home, the TPS indicated that the tire pressures had held to the pressures I had read outside of Topeka. I plan to take one of the Corvettes (when they get out of storage in 2+ months) to Rex Tire in Colorado Springs and check my gages with their system. Hopefully I can get a handle on this discrepancy between tire pressures measuring devices.
I was wondering if anyone else on the CAC has found this to be a problem and what have they done about it? I have read the manufacturer's information enclosed with the hand held tools and the information does not state that the gages were calibrated against a National Bureau of Standards gage, so the manufacturer neither does not know if the device is indicating the correct pressure nor does he report it if he does know.
Barrett

Yea, make sure to always check them cold. It is a good thing to stay on top of for sure. Even dealerships would be more than happy to help you out with this kind of thing. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom