Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Chip/Scratch Repair-anyone heard of this stuff?

Sounds good, hopefully more input can be given on this stuff by somebody. I do have a nice scratch to repair.

If memory serves me right FrankM had a favorable post on this. May want to get in touch with him. :w

I have it and it does work... somewhat. Basically it's a paint thinner in a cream form from what I can tell. It will supposedly only work well with the touch up paint you buy in the store like Dupli-Color. It is not designed to work with the paint you'd get for touch up from a body shop after a repaint. It's a bit harsh for that and will desolve it to the point of cleaning out the chip and you're back to where you started. You can get away with that if you let the paint set for a few days. You'd probably do just as well with some thinner on a damp cloth.

If you have any serious chips to fix you would want to fill them over a period of days using thin coats until you build up above the level of the surrounding surface. Then let it set for at least a week... the longer the better. Then take some really fine grit paper like 1500 or 2000 and knock it down to flush with the surrounding surface through wet sanding. Then buff out the scratches very carefully. The paint in the chip tends to be softer and you can easily go too far.

If you have a beater car or daily driver you may want to practice there. It takes a little while to get the hang of it and feel comfortable. Solid colors are MUCH easier to match than a metallic which is nearly impossible.

Thanks for the info. I might have to give it a try. I have more than a few scratches I can practice on with my truck.

So, if I have an original paint job, it will not hurt the existing paint, right? What, if anything, do you put over it? Mine is white which is probably the easiest to cover up.

Thanks again.

Consumer Reports reported this month on their tests of numerous scratch repair products. End result, as far as I remember, was nothing spectacular. You might want to check it out.

Here's a link to a website for a guy that owns a 2001 Impala that really likes the stuff.

Here's the link to this guy's testimonial...let me know what you think and
Click on the "How To" button to get to the paint repair section!
http://www.impalahq.com

MNHoosier said:
Thanks for the info. I might have to give it a try. I have more than a few scratches I can practice on with my truck.

So, if I have an original paint job, it will not hurt the existing paint, right? What, if anything, do you put over it? Mine is white which is probably the easiest to cover up.

Thanks again.

No, it will not hurt the existing paint. (At least I've never seen it happen in my experience.) Not sure what you mean by "put over it". The paint to protect it? Nothing. You just put the stuff on a smooth fabric rag (like a t-shirt) and stretch it over a flat piece of hard rubber. Then rub. It knocks down the lump but you need to be careful about going too far.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom