Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clam-shell on the C3 anyone.... :-)

Vette/Berlina-coupe

Corvette
C3-coupe/MercedesBenz-540K replica! Racing-SB-V8!
-Not at all 'half baked' here's a nifty '71-C3 that i saw somewhere, although likely has a bit of cowl-shake (really rigid latching would hold it to a minimum), i think it is 'soooo totally kooool' -that just wanted to share it; -the Clam-shell is possibly an available retrofit-kit adaptable- '68-'82, -plus SidewinderExh. would be righteous!
Unfortunately, way the front-clip on my Berlina-C3 is configured, i cannot adopt a Clam-shell opening, -3rd-pic shows my hood splits-open at the center, plus sidepanels & sidemounts quickly detach(am preparing to sanitize the eng.-bay), -quite accessable to work on engine, yet not near as open as shown C3/Clam-shell; well long as i'm at it, the 4th-pix shows my Berlina/MB-540R at present (removed the full-whitewalls, may go full maroon-lacquer, --as don't want a parade-car look!), while 5th-pix shows my adapted 1930's "17/banjo-wheel(removed PS & PB for more '30's feel, but retained T&T-column, note RC-mirrors.). ---(left-click pix to enlarge 83kb)... ~Bob vH

ps: -this '80/Berlina-C3 has only 15k-miles on it (pampered w/Mobile1 oil, still factory-sealed!); -am going to pull and install a custom LongRod-400cid/sb (short-cranked to only 352cid) w/Tremec-5spd., so willing to sell the complete barely broken-in oem/Eng&trans for $6k+ship.! (350-TurboHydro-auto.,oem/aircleaner,oem/PS,-etc.)
--ref.center-pix, left-click my CAC-handle to E-mail if interested...

I really liked the clamshell on my 93 & I don't understand why the powers-that-be chose to go away from it on the C5 & C6. However converting a C3 to clamshell seems almost more trouble than it's worth. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't waste my time or money on it. Too much other stuff to do.

the kit is only for pr 80 models because the 80-82 w/ the longer chin can't open, it'll hit the ground. The kit is no longer available, some still carry the clamshell hood but the hardware is not available. What I don't like is that it hinges at the header bar so the stock lights have to be removed and the hood doesn't open nearly far enough to comfortably work under it. I built my own:
engbay0.jpg

drysump3.jpg

hinge12.jpg

hinge10.jpg

fronton.jpg

Didnt they 'think' about this on the CServ III ? I think i remember the model had a clamshell.. You would have to retract the entire front clip with the hood though..
Thanks for sharing the pics, kewl idea.

:w
-Stefan

2005Flipper002.jpg

2005vet002.jpg

i've got the clamshell on my 73. i refer to it as a 1pc eckler flip. makes for working on yer engine compartment quite easy. takes about 10min to remove from the body. i really like the exaggerated coke bottle curves on it.

Vettehead Mikey said:
What year is the rear clip from? Well done blending on the bumper line!

not sure, 74 or 76? cannot take any of the credit for the body, Downriver corvettes in the Detroit metro area did the hood, flares and rearclip. i bought it in 1990 like that, the rest of the car was a basket case, i did all the rest of the work on it. Downriver did an excellent job on blending the clip and the flares, u can't see any imperfections.

ratflinger said:
I really liked the clamshell on my 93 & I don't understand why the powers-that-be chose to go away from it on the C5 & C6. However converting a C3 to clamshell seems almost more trouble than it's worth. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't waste my time or money on it. Too much other stuff to do.

I think it was an insurance issue the clam shell is much more costly to replace so the went away from it....ACW

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom