Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cleaning Aluminum trans case

Fuelie

Corvette
'65 Fuelie Coupe, '78 L48 Cpe
Does anyone know a good way to really clean the tailshaft housing for a Muncie 4 speed?

I have washed and scrubbed the part in varsol but it will not come out as clean and bright as the main case. I have several other 4 speeds and they all seem to have the same tendancy to be darker than the main case.

The photo makes the parts seem a bit brighter than they really are.

Take care,
Brian

casecolour.jpg

try using mild a/c coil cleaner and or 0000 steel wool and or eagle 1 alluminum polish that looks like cotton. That should work great, did my lower A arms in the rear and both in the front and they look like chrome. Im sure it would work wonders on the trans.

There is a place in Bedford Indiana that deals in corvette suspension parts and rear ends and I was there getting the u joints replaced a few years back in an 89' that I had and they had all these shiny a arms and rear end cases sitting on the shelf and they told me that they used the coil cleaner on them, that how I found out about that one, I can say the others work by experience, if you use the coil cleaner you may want to use a wire brush on it as well.

94conv. said:
try using mild a/c coil cleaner and or 0000 steel wool and or eagle 1 alluminum polish that looks like cotton. That should work great, did my lower A arms in the rear and both in the front and they look like chrome. Im sure it would work wonders on the trans.

Thanks for the tip. I should also mention that this is for a restored car and the aluminum surface needs to appear natural and undisturbed (ie no abrasion)

Do you think that the coil cleaner will brighten up the housing without having to scrub it with more than a stiff bristle brush?

Take care,
Brian

I bought a gallon of the a/c coil cleaner and tried it on some aluminum I didn't care about. If you use it full strength, it might turn your aluminum a milky white, it did mine. You may want to experiment different dilution solutions to come up with one that works well. I think you can dilute it with water.

Ol Blue

I don't think you'll be able to get the tailshaft to look like the maincase. I believe the molds were different and the process may have been different too. I bead blasted my tailshaft and it still isn't as bright and smooth as the main case.

The blasting cabinet I used is owned by a guy who manufactures high precision industrial heaters and he casts and forges a lot of aluminum. He came by to see what I was doing and was intrigued by the casting. He thought the tailshaft was a permanant mold and the maincase a sand casting until he saw the pin marks. I guess the pins eject the part out of the mold. So- he said both were permanent molds but different types... whatever that meant.

Brian

Aluminum "re-skinning"

I have used Fred Hudson in Oklahoma City for the last few years to clean my aluminum and zinc castings. He's done many FI adapter manifolds and plenums for me. He has a large vibratory tank full of ceramic beads and water. This is not a tumbler. A brief time in this tank makes the casting surface have a bright color without the "blasted" look. The process is gentle and will not smooth surface imperfections or sharp edges. I have tried the others who advertise aluminum re-skinning, and I prefer Fred's work. However, John DeGregory does excellent refinishing of castings too.

Fred can be reached at (405) 942-2729. He is very trustworthy, and his prices are quite reasonable.

Ol Blue: Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Eagle One Mag Wheel cleaner on another old tailshaft housing and you are right about corrosive properties creating white deposits.

Brian: I agree that the castings appear to have been created using different processes and possibly material grades. All other housungs I have seen seem to have the same charateristics.

Jerry: I appreciate your input about Fred Hudson. As you know, the border causes a lot of difficulty for us Canadians to send parts back and forth. I was hoping to find a process that could be done at home, or at least locally. However, your solution is probably offers the best results.

Thanks everyone.....great input....as always.

Take care,
Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom