Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cleaning my interior without ARMOR ALL...

craig0ry

Corvette
1986 Red 4+3 Coupe
I have never really liked armor all, and I need something to clean my interior with. Here is the specific problem I have, no matter what product I use, my car accumulates tons of interior dust on everything within a day or two. I have to clean this car way too often to keep it looking nice. Is there any product out there that I can use not only on the dash pad but on the entire interior that either doesn't show or somehow repels the dust?

Also what do you guys recommend on the leather seats, I was looking at some different leather treatments to keep it from drying out and cracking, but I'm not sure what to use as a cleaner. What is a good leather cleaner and treatment combo?

Thanks in advance!

IMO from experience and others, if you started using armor all do not change. I have no scientific knowledge about Armor All, but it seems like it does something to change the molecular structure of the surface or it interacts with other types of products and can ruin, crack, your plastic. I could tell you my story but it would take too long. Having said that, I use 3M marine grade rubber and plastic protector on most every thing, or I also use a product called 303 available at most marine and some Hot tub stores.

You might try this.

Hi, I was given this idea by another person on a detailing site. Try mixing 5% or less woolite + water in a spray bottle. I tried it on my interrior of my 90 & I was pleased with the results. I was given these instructions:
1. Mix 5% woolite + water solution. I was told use distilled water.
2. Spray on M/F towel till just damp & wipe area to be cleaned.
3. Use another M/F towel damp with plain water to rinse.
4. Use dry M/F towel to dry areas cleaned.
5. To protect cleaned surfaces spray product on dry M/F towel & work into surface. I use 303 on everything except glass, leather seats, plastic lenses & carpet.
6. Buff protectant with dry M/F towel to remove excess.

My dash & seats & other hard surfaces were not that dirty so about a 2 or 3% solution did the trick. I put an oil stain ( #6 oil ) on the driver's sill carpet and a 5% solution with a toothbrush took it out!! I also had a stain or some kind of mark in the carpet where the roof panel anchors are and the 5% + toothbrush is even getting that stuff out after repeated applications! The stuff doesn't harm the color dye in the carpet, I have grey. The stuff even worked to clean the weather stripping in 3% solution. I use those yellow M/F towels from Costco cause they are not expensive. I use them only on the weather stripping & carpets & seats & dash pads & glass w/stonner's to clean & the vinyl molding on the body. I wouldn't use them on the paint or clear plastic cause they feel rougher than the expensive M/F towels.

I believe you can wash off the Armor-All with the woolite and not have anything bad happen. It's just a petrolium based product & the woolite is a mild soap which should clean up the Armor-All just like an oil stain. It may take a few washings to get it all but it should work. Then use 303 to protect the vinyl dash. On the seats I'm using Zymol leather conditioner after the woolite wash, it seems okay. Sorry this is so long, Tom.

I'm going to move to the Care & Detailing section as I think all Corvette owners can benefit from these suggestions!

Elaine

No I haven't used armor all on the interior yet, my previous owner may have but I don't see the signs of it. I have not had a good experience with armor all yet.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

There are lots of products that won't attract dust. As mentioned 303 Aerospace Protectant is a good one, dries very smooth and matte. What you can also do is do your regular wipedowns with just water. If all you are cleaning off is dust, this works very well. I keep a little spraybottle of distilled water for just such tasks.

Also, after you do use a vinyl protectant, you can give the dash a second wipedown with a dry cloth to help remove any leftover product and reduce the dust attraction potential. :)

Along this Armor All thread, the previous owner or dealer had given the dash on my C5 a good polish with some shiney cleaner. Talk about glare and reflection!!

Is there something that will take this shiney finish off the dash?

Ron ... :upthumbs

For my interior I use waterless hand cleaner with lanolin. It brings all the dirt off the seats, and what not, and most of you know how bad the early C4 steering wheels collect dirt, and this brings it right out. It also makes everything really soft.

RonJ said:
Along this Armor All thread, the previous owner or dealer had given the dash on my C5 a good polish with some shiney cleaner. Talk about glare and reflection!!

Is there something that will take this shiney finish off the dash?

Ron ... :upthumbs

A good cleaning will remove it. Possibly just a damp towel will take it off. There are a lot of products you can clean your dash with. I've always gone the route of car-care products not household products, and Meguiar's #39 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner works well. Pinnacle makes a Vinyl & Leather Cleaner that would work. And protectant products that have cleaning action would also work, like Meguiar's #40 Rubber & Vinyl Protectant, or Lexol's Vinylex. I'm sure there are others as well.

Certainly any kind of non-automotive soap or cleaner would also work, though you just have to be careful and use common sense.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom