Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ClearBra and Nakidparts Splash Guard Added

Bonnell

Corvette
2008 Convertible
After dealing with rock chips on my '02 vert I decided when I got another vette I would protect the paint as well as I could to prevent rock chips.

After looking at every bra I could find I decided on the Speed Lingerie bra and mirror covers. This would cost between $750 & $850. The problem is that the rocker panels and door sills are still exposed and subject to rocks and scuffs. I really saw this first hand with my '02 and the '88 coupe before it.

I decided to research the 3M clearbra. I found a certified body shop in my small town. When I visited they gave me a brochure that had a sample of the material. You cannot stick a key through it without extraordinary effort. The guys at the body shop attended a two week ($15,000) certification program and can use kits or make their own. He has the clearbra on his metallic silver truck and I could not see it until I got up close. I was sold.

The entire front nose is covered and a good way up the hood. There are sections behind all four wheels, both entire rocker panels, scuff areas of each door sill, both hand ports (or whatever you call the area that you insert your hand to open the door) and both mirrors.

My wife took photos but I'll have to take more because it is difficult to see the lines except in a couple of the photos. The Nakidparts splash guards are on (Halter was nice enough to put those on too) and they look great. Before David put them on I asked if he thought it would be overkill and he said if it were his car he would put them on too. He was very surprised at how good they looked once on. 3M provides a 3 year warranty but Halter's Body Shop provides a written lifetime warranty.

I am really glad that I went with this solution rather than a standard bra.:thumb

ClearBra1.jpg

ClearBra2.jpg

ClearBra3.jpg

ClearBra4.jpg

ClearBra5.jpg

I can't see a thing...except a fine looking Jetstream Blue paint job:upthumbs. Very nice work. I should consider doing something like this for my next one as well since my 98 has more than its share.

The clearbra is the way to go. As far as the splash guards go, there are splash guards available for the C6 that mimic the Z06. Although not cheap, this would be the route I'd take. (I do like the clear on the sides however!)

EDIT: This just in! GM has factory splash guards for the c6 now! It is part # 19170234.

They are $105 per set for the whole car! I don't know if they're as good as the aftermarket stuff but they're not $450 either...

Thanks guys. I am very pleased with the results.:thumb

My brother just did the same thing on his JSB convertible and can hardly tell its on. Plus he said he got a great deal on the price.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as he enjoys his.

Ron
"Baldie88"

My brother just did the same thing on his JSB convertible and can hardly tell its on. Plus he said he got a great deal on the price.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as he enjoys his.

Ron
"Baldie88"

:thumb

BTW: I bought an '88 coupe with 88K miles in November 2002. It was my DD until September 2005 when I bought my 2002 vert (which I traded on my '08 coupe :D). The '88 was still going strong at 167K miles when I sold it last year to a guy in Ohio. He flew in and drove it home.

My '88 was a really good car.:thumb

:thumb

BTW: I bought an '88 coupe with 88K miles in November 2002. It was my DD until September 2005 when I bought my 2002 vert (which I traded on my '08 coupe :D). The '88 was still going strong at 167K miles when I sold it last year to a guy in Ohio. He flew in and drove it home.

My '88 was a really good car.:thumb

Yeah I really like my 88. Just turned 48K miles and I'm the 4th owner. Get a lot of compliments on it but sure do have the C6 fever, especially after driving my brother's. I'm about the only one in our club that still has a C4. I was real serious about getting an 05 vert and then we found out the wife has breast cancer so all plans are on hold till we see everything through. Maybe next year.

Ron
"Baldie88"

Yeah I really like my 88. Just turned 48K miles and I'm the 4th owner. Get a lot of compliments on it but sure do have the C6 fever, especially after driving my brother's. I'm about the only one in our club that still has a C4. I was real serious about getting an 05 vert and then we found out the wife has breast cancer so all plans are on hold till we see everything through. Maybe next year.

Ron
"Baldie88"

I know what it is like to have that itch. When I had my '88 I just ached for a C5. I absolutely loved my C5. The opportunity came up to get this C6 and I was thrilled.

Baldie I am so sorry to hear about your wife. I will pray for her and you. I hope that all works out well for you. I know my wife is all that matters in my life. The rest is just detail. When your wife is better you will enjoy your new ride that much more. You don't know me but please give her my best.:thumb

great looking installation - that is the key on a clear bra and yours appears to be done very well indeed. I'm waiting for someone to post some pictures of actual installations of the new GM splash guards before I decide which way to go. The new guards are available but I have yet to see one in person. Pictures seem to show a Z design but smaller which may limit what they will do to protect the car.

I wouldn't be without the clear bra any more. I have it on the C6 and had it on the C5 and my BMW. Just installed it on my 09 CTS on Monday :D

great looking installation - that is the key on a clear bra and yours appears to be done very well indeed. I'm waiting for someone to post some pictures of actual installations of the new GM splash guards before I decide which way to go. The new guards are available but I have yet to see one in person. Pictures seem to show a Z design but smaller which may limit what they will do to protect the car.

Thanks dpigguy. I really trust the local people at the body shop who installed it. I will be interested to see how easily the bugs come off this weekend when I wash it.:thumb

I wouldn't be without the clear bra any more. I have it on the C6 and had it on the C5 and my BMW. Just installed it on my 09 CTS on Monday :D

Hi Drakester - Do you do anything special when you wash and wax? I suppose you don't use anything but a garden hose (no high pressure)? Any problems with wax lines?:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom