Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clearcoat your motor?

R

RalleyRed

Can you do it?

Is there a high temp clearcoat?

How do you keep your intake and other aluminum parts clean if you can't use a clearcoat?

Thanks guy's

Rick

Yup I painted my plenum/intake manifold/Valve covers/and Thermostat cover with a silverish paint then clearcoated it.

It looks GREAT! just go to a respectable engine shop they should be selling it there.

Big Red,

How many miles have you put on it since you clearcoated it?

I take it , that it's still holding up well.

Thanks , I will make some call's Tuesday.

Rick

Every (carburetor-type) intake I've ever seen that's been cleared has turned yellow/brown from the heat, gas stains it, and it looks pretty bad after a while. Brake cleaner is very effective for cleaning gas stains from natural aluminum manifold surfaces.

Everything looks fine for now and Ive put on about 3000 Kilometers. My intake manifold only has a brownish tinge to it because Dust and dirt around the thermostat housing loves to collect there and its a real PITA to clean out (Small grooves) other than that everythings cherry

I have seen it go both ways. I spray my engine stuff with clear coat out of a gun. The same clear coat that you spray on the outside of the car. There is a BIG difference over spray paint from a can. I have not had regular exterior grade clear to turn yellow. However, I have had spray clear to yellow over time. It takes several years for it to yellow, and by then I am usually tired of the car anyway and ready to do something different. The ultimate way to go is to have it powdercoated clear. I had my roll bars done this way on the 69 and they look like they are wet all the time.

Good luck with it.

Chris,

Would I have to dismantle the motor to have it powdercoated with clear?

If I have it cleared I'm thinking it could be done as a complete motor.

If my starter had gotten here before the week-end we would have had "fire in the hole" last night.

I should be back on the road by the end of the week

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom