Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

click no click no start

87 hurtin

Corvette
1987 green coupe
I finally got my first vette at 40.Its an 87 fixer up now the problem is it hasnt been started in a year due to previous owners death and the battery has been drained for a year as well. I tried to jump the the old one the car would not start
so i replaced it and I am having the same result. When you turn key the dash lights up you can turn on the radio the antenna goes up ect. as you continue it clicks like a dead battery then every shuts down and you try again no click nothing just turn key and alls dead now the next day I tried it again and initially i got power then it clicked and it died again. I read some posts on vats is that the key chip. I also have this switch near the gas petal that shuts down power to the car the previous owners daughter said to keep it up or it will drain the battery jou have to push it down to get any juice to the car at all is that the vats? Also is that factory installed or was it put in later? any insite would help I at least want to get this bad bay started after a week of ownership.

I finally got my first vette at 40.Its an 87 fixer up now the problem is it hasnt been started in a year due to previous owners death and the battery has been drained for a year as well. I tried to jump the the old one the car would not start
so i replaced it and I am having the same result. When you turn key the dash lights up you can turn on the radio the antenna goes up ect. as you continue it clicks like a dead battery then every shuts down and you try again no click nothing just turn key and alls dead now the next day I tried it again and initially i got power then it clicked and it died again. I read some posts on vats is that the key chip. I also have this switch near the gas petal that shuts down power to the car the previous owners daughter said to keep it up or it will drain the battery jou have to push it down to get any juice to the car at all is that the vats? Also is that factory installed or was it put in later? any insite would help I at least want to get this bad bay started after a week of ownership.

Your switch is not factory installed.
Your trouble may be a bad starter; however, the switch on the dash that keeps the battery from draining makes me believe that you're going to need a helms manual (with the schematics), a multimeter, and some patience. I'd trouble shoot the starter first and hope that its a bad solenoid.

Good luck

The way you discribe everything going dead I would lean towards a bad ground. Clean the connections where the ground cable connects to the chassis. You did clean your cables when you installed the new battery ?
Also check the battery cable connection on the solenoid.

Glenn
:w

I had the same problem with my '89 and I found that you REALLY have to make sure that the battery cables are FIRMLY attached to the battery terminals. This is especially true with the cable that is on the side of the battery farthest outward from the center of the car. Move that cable back and forth on the battery as you tighten it down.

Cheers,

/s/ Chris

I had the same problem with my '89 and I found that you REALLY have to make sure that the battery cables are FIRMLY attached to the battery terminals. This is especially true with the cable that is on the side of the battery farthest outward from the center of the car. Move that cable back and forth on the battery as you tighten it down.

Cheers,

/s/ Chris

That was the problem side mount positive seemed tight but I REALLY tightened it the hood light came on and it started right up thanks man I appreciate it

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom