Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Fan Noise

m22chevy

Corvette
1971 corvette conv
I totally hate the noise that my clutch fan makes. It's basically all I can hear when driving my car. Is this because it's not functioning properly or should it be this noisy. Is there a non clutch type alternative that will cool my small block properly and not sound like a school bus when I rev it up?

Thanks m22

You want this fixed sooner rather than later.
The vans we use at work have a clutch fan on them if they're quiet that's fine but once they start getting noisy you need to replace them.
A couple of the guys didn't know what it was until it pulled off from the shaft and put a giant hole in the radiator.:hb

Thanks Antz81, I guess what I am wondering is should the clutch be totally disengaged (slipping) when the motor is cool or when the car is traveling at cruising speeds (i.e. above 35 mph) because the fan will rev up with the engine then wind down much slower than the engine even when the car is cool and outside temps are cool. When I take off at a pretty good pace and shift up through the gears you can hear the fan reving at a fairly steady rpm in between shifts. Basically shouldn't the fan be hardly spinning when conditions are cool? m22

Depending on the temperature where a thermal spring is located in the fan hub.. The spring expands which allows a silcon fluid to flow from a reservoir, this provides a viscous coupling and the fan engages cooling the engine. Engagement is temperature actvated, not speed. However, idling in traffic is hotter than cruising at 70.

Don't quote me, but I believe the fan engages between 150 and 180 degress. That is the temperature the spring expands; it has nothing to do with the fluid temperature in the radiator.

That being said, if yours is squealing, you need to replace it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom