Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch problems

marteeni

Corvette
93 Blk ZR1 & 00 Pewter Conv
My master cylinder keeps emptying. The only place I see any clutch oil is inside the car by the clutch pedal (none outside the car). The oil ruined the floor insulation by running down the firewall. I guess I can assume the clutch master is bad?? Anyone have the GM part number for this? I'd have to comment that I think this is pretty poor for a car with just over 8000 miles on the odometer!

Sounds like you need a new master cylinder alright.
Here's a list of GM Part#'s for the hydraulic clutch setup for your car:

1990-1996 Clutch Master Cylinder GM Part# 10147953

1991-1996 Master Cylinder to Slave Cylinder Hydraulic Feed Line GM Part# 12509314

1991-1996 Clutch Slave Cylinder GM Part# 12509313

Thanks Steel Half Shafts! I replaced the slave cylinder before I noticed the mess on the inside of the car. The spots I had under the car ended up being an oil leak. Do you have to replace the clutch master cylinder or is there a rebuild kit for them??

I don't know if there is a rebuild kit for the clutch master, but I've heard from others that it is best to go new. Keep in mind, car parts wear without regard for mileage. For example, rubber rots with age.
Mike

I don't know of a rebuild kit for the clutch master cylinder, although there's supposedly one available from TRW for the slave. I couldn't find anyone who stocks it when I replaced my slave and hydraulic feed line this past Spring.

For the amount of trouble involved in replacing the master or the slave, I'd go with a new one like ZR1 MK suggests.

Hate to have to do it over again! :duh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom