Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Clutch Return Spring Broke.

yellow_2002_germany

Corvette
2006 Velocity Yellow
I am writing this 40 minutes before a final exam... I was shaking out my carpet and discovered that one side of my clutch return spring had broken off. Questions...

Are there any negative consequences for this spring being broken?

I was planning to drive to Bloomington Gold tomorrow...is it safe?

Is the spring serviced as an individual part or is it serviced as a complete unit with a new clutch pedal?

Thanks for the help,
Randy

I am writing this 40 minutes before a final exam... I was shaking out my carpet and discovered that one side of my clutch return spring had broken off. Questions...

Are there any negative consequences for this spring being broken?

I was planning to drive to Bloomington Gold tomorrow...is it safe?

Is the spring serviced as an individual part or is it serviced as a complete unit with a new clutch pedal?

Thanks for the help,
Randy

Your LUCKY to live in location where you can cruise up to Bloomington for the weekend. I sure wish I could do that. :) That would be great weekend just checking out all the different rides...enjoy....hope not to much wrong...tim

Strangely...well, on second thought, maybe not...that spring doesn't show in drawings of the clutch pedal assy in the 02 Service Manual.

That said, my guess is that spring looks like two little coil springs joined by a straight wire. If that's the case, my 01 Camaro uses the same spring and it's broken...twice. It splits in half with part ending up on the floor and the other part left on the pedal assy.

After the second one broke, I never replaced it and the car seems no worse for its lack.

I'd say you're ok driving the car for a while without it.

Strangely...well, on second thought, maybe not...that spring doesn't show in drawings of the clutch pedal assy in the 02 Service Manual.

That said, my guess is that spring looks like two little coil springs joined by a straight wire. If that's the case, my 01 Camaro uses the same spring and it's broken...twice. It splits in half with part ending up on the floor and the other part left on the pedal assy.

After the second one broke, I never replaced it and the car seems no worse for its lack.

I'd say you're ok driving the car for a while without it.

You are right on both counts, no spring in the 2006 service manual and it looks like the one you describe in your Camaro. My Vette is a 2006, just haven't updated my name in, oh,....4 years!

I remember reading about clutch pedal springs and how some people were actually removing them altogether to change the feel of the pedal. I just couldn't find anything in my limited search before class started.

They removed the clutch pedal spring to "change the feel"??

WTF?

The clutch pedal in my Camaro feels the same whether the spring is there or not.

When I get back to work on Monday, I'll check an 06 FSM along with SI to see if it's there.

Hi there,

The spring is the to completely RETURN the pedal so that you remove ALL HYDRAULIC pressure from the clutch slave cylinder.

The fact is that this spring ONLY is there for this reason, NOT because they wanted to change clutch feel.

This is why people prematurely wear OUT the clutch when they remove this spring.

It SHOULD ALWAYS BE THERE and should never be removed.

Allthebest, c4c5

I replaced mine because the pedal was not retunring properly (as noted by C4C5). Turned out the worn old spring probably did contribute needing to replace the clutch earlier than intended by design .... although there isnt a good way of knowing that for sure.

Anyway .... you can buy the spring as an individual part from GM for C6s .... its easy to put it .... although in a bit of an awkward spot under the dash. i think I paid around $20.

eboch.

Funny reading this story, mine broke to, and I was cleaning the car also.

I will have to find one over here in the Netherlands.

Fred

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom