Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

coil spring and ball joints bad?

Vref

Corvette
65 Roadster
How do you tell when the coil springs or ball joints need to be replace? Are there any simple tests?

Ball joints are easey.Raise the car off the ground so the wheels are at least 1" off the ground and then rock the wheel(push at 12 oclock and 6 oclock) and see what type of movement you have.Your actually watching what movement you have between the spindel to the upper a arm and the lower a arm. the reason I point this out is you could have "slop" or movement with the wheel that is caused by a loose or bad wheel bearing.

The reason I sujest only raising the car off the ground by an inch is so you could stick a tire iron under the tire and then lift on the tire iron to see what "slop" or movement you cause.

Now while the tire is still in the air,(as a matter of fact both front tires) your now going to check your tie rod ends by now pushing on the tires at 9 oclock and 3 o clock. Agin your looking for movement in your spindel to where the tie rod end attaches to the spindel.

As for checking coils I belive they need to be changed when ride height is not with in spec,

I hope I have answered your question.I would like to add if I may.This is part of what I consider a saftey check on a vechicle,I run thru alot of other stuff with the balance of the fronst suspention,brakes soft lines and hard,body mounts tire attachement Funny a fellow will spend 2 days washing and waxing a car but never do a saftey check untill they have a problem
Good luck those with more knowledge please chime in here

If you're concerned and you're unsure about doing these tests yourself (I'm with Larry- 100% as described) then take your car in for a wheel alignment at a good shop. As part of the alignment, they'll check all of your suspension and let you know what, if anything, needs work.

-Mac

Thanks, no I am not uncertain about the test. That is exactly what I was looking for.

There does not seem to be a exact science on the coil spring issue. I think I just got to do more reading on the subject.

Currently, I am engaged in the carburetor being rebuilt by Jerry z28 camaro , Wiper motor being done at the place in MD and I am working on the heater core/ heater box rebuild. Trying to to keep my projects down to one at a time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom