Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Cold Start & High Idle on 86

scout30501

Corvette
86 red on red with greenwood package.
I have an 86 that I have difficulty starting when cold. Sometimes it fires right up and sometimes it takes five minutes or so to get it started. Once running it will run and accelerate fine, but is burning rich, the idle also seems high and it seems to be getting around 12 - 13 mpg's.I have had all three catalyst removed. (no emissions inspects here) The fuel lines are clean, the fuel pump and filter have been replaced. I am thinking about replacing all of the sensors two at a time begining with the o2 and throttle position sensors and then go from there. Does this sound liike and effective plan of action or should I try something else?

Have you checked your ignition timing on the vette yet? Make sure you warm it up and unplug the timing advance wire to do the timing correctly It always helps to have someone to help you. Also have you done a tps and idle adjust reset mine did alot better after that. Of course exhaust leaks vaccum leaks ect will make it run crappy as well as fuel pump what is your fuel rail pressure at idle?

Cold Start.

Have you checked your ignition timing on the vette yet? Make sure you warm it up and unplug the timing advance wire to do the timing correctly It always helps to have someone to help you. Also have you done a tps and idle adjust reset mine did alot better after that. Of course exhaust leaks vaccum leaks ect will make it run crappy as well as fuel pump what is your fuel rail pressure at idle?

thanks for the reply. I will try that this weekend. I have also been told to possibly replace the idle air sensor. I found a really good youtube video that shows how to do it.. I also looked up the instructions on resetting the idle. this is my first Vette and much of this is new to me. But I think this par is something I can handle with a little advice along the way. It's just very different from anything I have ever worked on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom