Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Colors

Corvette
2000 Dark Bowling Green Metalic Convertable
After reading many posts discussing colors, I looked at production numbers, by color, for the C5 through 2003 (didn't have the data for 2004) and found some interesting facts. The most sold color is Torch Red (46,113) followed closely by Black (41,729). Third place at only half as much is Light Pewter Metalic (20,677). Only Black and Torch Red were offered over all seven years. Artic White (9422) turned into Speedway White (4907) in 2001. Can anyone tell the difference?

Fewest sold colors begins with Platinum Purple Metalic (1), which was a special presentation car for a Bowling Green Employee. Next is Aztec Gold (15) which was only offered in 1998. Third lowest is Fairway Green Matalic (378) which was only offered in 1997 and 1998. Close at fourth is Medium Purple Pearl Metalic (381) which was only offered in 1998. Next low numbers are:

Pace Car Purple (1163)
Light Carmin Red Metalic (1948)
Dark Bowling Green Metalic (2582)
Nassau Blue Metalic (3275)

Question: if all else is equal, does rarity of color add anything to a cars resale value?

Another Question: Does anyone here have a car that is Platinum Purple Metalic, Aztec Gold, Fairway Green Metalic or Medium Purple Metalic?

After reading many posts discussing colors, I looked at production numbers, by color, for the C5 through 1993 (didn't have the data for 2004)

Okay, right off the bat, I'm confused: the C5 production run didn't begin until the 1997 model year. Why search back to 1993 unless you want to compare C4s as well?

The most sold color is Torch Red (46,113) followed closely by Black (41,729). Third place at only half as much is Light Pewter Metalic (20,677). Only Black and Torch Red were offered over all seven years. Artic White (9422) turned into Speedway White (4907) in 2001. Can anyone tell the difference?

You know what's interesting about those production numbers? The most frequent colors on C5s that I see around here are Quicksilver and various versions of Blue. I guess the red and black end up going somewhere else.

And, no, I'm afraid I can't tell a big difference between Artic White and Speedway White, but I'm sure Remo will be able to post two side by side for comparision purposes- Remo seems to have an extensive compilation of C5 pictures.

Fewest sold colors begins with Platinum Purple Metalic (1), which was a special presentation car for a Bowling Green Employee. Next is Aztec Gold (15) which was only offered in 1998. Third lowest is Fairway Green Matalic (378) which was only offered in 1997 and 1998. Close at fourth is Medium Purple Pearl Metalic (381) which was only offered in 1998. Next low numbers are:

Pace Car Purple (1163)
Light Carmin Red Metalic (1948)
Dark Bowling Green Metalic (2582)
Nassau Blue Metalic (3275)

Question: if all else is equal, does rarity of color add anything to a cars resale value?

Another Question: Does anyone here have a car that is Platinum Purple Metalic, Aztec Gold, Fairway Green Metalic or Medium Purple Metalic?

Back in December, someone posted a picture of an Aztec Gold C5 Convertible- I went back and checked that thread, but the source site for that picture has apparently taken it down, so the pic is gone. The reactions to that color were not overly enthusiastic.

As to the rarity of the color affecting resale, I'm not so sure. I mean, unless you have a color scheme that was done for something like an Indy Pace Car edition, any specialized kind of color can always be done after the fact. Look at some of the pictures Remo has posted of C5s with Pink accents to them. Yes, they be done well aftermarket. And the point is, how are you going to distiguish/certify a one-off color from the factor from something done after market?

Ultimately, resale value is in the eye of the buyer.

-Patrick

Geeez .....sounds like you BOTH have too much time on your hands..counting colors Duh ...everyone knows that Vettes are suspose to be RED or BLACK;LOL

I wasn't doing the counting of colors, I was responding to RW's ruminations about the numbers made in each color during the C5 production run. In and of itself, that's not a particularly unusual production-related topic of conversation for Corvette owners.

For the record, my Z06 is black... so I guess I have a "real" Corvette. Thanks for that, Hotwing.

:)
-Patrick

I wasn't doing the counting of colors, I was responding to RW's ruminations about the numbers made in each color during the C5 production run. In and of itself, that's not a particularly unusual production-related topic of conversation for Corvette owners.

For the record, my Z06 is black... so I guess I have a "real" Corvette. Thanks for that, Hotwing.

:)
-Patrick

You are very welcome Patrick....However, Torch Red is more realistic for a Corvette:upthumbs

Interesting stats RW, thanks for posting them. I would agree with Patrick though. Unless one had a fully factory documented low quantity color, I think resale value would depend on the buyer's interest.

Other than that, it makes a nice factoid for conversations with other enthusiasts such as "mine is one of only 1948 made in that color." ;)

BTW - Don, I've seen Patrick's Black Z06 firsthand. Trust me - it's REAL. :L

:wJane Ann

Interesting stats RW, thanks for posting them. I would agree with Patrick though. Unless one had a fully factory documented low quantity color, I think resale value would depend on the buyer's interest.

Other than that, it makes a nice factoid for conversations with other enthusiasts such as "mine is one of only 1948 made in that color." ;)

BTW - Don, I've seen Patrick's Black Z06 firsthand. Trust me - it's REAL. :L

:wJane Ann

No doubt Jane Ann....and to be honest I had a black 2000 coupe once;)

No doubt Jane Ann....and to be honest I had a black 2000 coupe once;)

I always loved a black Vette! But I wouldn't buy one because I owned a black T-Bird years ago and I could never keep it clean.

I recall one day washing, waxing... the whole detail bit - and when I got finished with the interior I noticed a fine layer of dust on it already. :eyerole

Black Vette owners have my respect and my sympathy. :L

I always loved a black Vette! But I wouldn't buy one because I owned a black T-Bird years ago and I could never keep it clean.

I recall one day washing, waxing... the whole detail bit - and when I got finished with the interior I noticed a fine layer of dust on it already. :eyerole

Black Vette owners have my respect and my sympathy. :L

Ya know Jane Ann they say that Black is a Detailer's final exam....my black 2000 coupe used to drive me crazy trying to keep it clean....my torch red is a lot better to take care of. :w

I have the reares Artic White ( 1 of 9422 ). :harharIt's the rearest one becouse it's mine! Good guys drive white, guess the black top is my hidden dark side:reddevil.
Does this make mine only 1/2 Vette ;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL

Okay, right off the bat, I'm confused: the C5 production run didn't begin until the 1997 model year. Why search back to 1993 unless you want to compare C4s as well?
=======

Sorry about the date typo. I edited the original message to the correct "2003". The production info only includes 1997 through 2003 because I have an outdated Corvette black book.

The dealers probably have a lot to do with the color production numbers because of what they choose to stock. I would guess that most Vettes are bought off the lot and not special ordered.

=======

Sorry about the date typo. I edited the original message to the correct "2003". The production info only includes 1997 through 2003 because I have an outdated Corvette black book.

Actually, we do have final production number HERE in our Knowledgebase for 2004.

-Patrick

I believe the single Platinum Purple C5 is on display at the Corvette Museum.

God Help Us

Did someone suggest bringing back the old Millennium Yellow
vs. Quicksilver controversy? Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
Remo:cool
QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

ok folks, show off the pictures of all of those torch red vettes.:mad

It can. But, it does because things are not equal...

The average buyer of a new Corvette is different than the average buyer of a used one. This is what has made the value of things like 6-Speed manual more valuable in the used market. The younger demographic in the used market wants a different car.

In the C4 years, the yellow colors offered were never really heavily sold new, but so desirable in the used market that used Corvette dealers would buy them up. I talked to a salesman at Rogers in Orlando about 10 years ago and he said they add $1,000 to the yellow corvettes, and another $1,000 for 6-Speed.

My dad had a 1991 Turquoise Convertible. We were just looking at Corvettes one day, and started BS-ing with the salesman. When the guy found out he had a Turquoise 6 speed 'vert he made a good offer sight unseen.

Bottom line is, if the color is rare and the market desires it, it can make it worth more $$.

Ya know Jane Ann they say that Black is a Detailer's final exam....my black 2000 coupe used to drive me crazy trying to keep it clean....my torch red is a lot better to take care of. :w
I had a Black C5 Coupe for 3 1/2 years and trying to keep the dust off of that car just drove me nuts, I've had a Spiral Gray Coupe for 6 days now and I can already tell that it's going to be a bunch easier to take care of!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom