Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Column Lock Bypass on "03 cpe

Albiesc5

Corvette
2003 Coupe Torch Red
I have 2 questions concerning the column lock situation.
1. Has anyone heard of the column locking up on a six speed "03 coupe?
2. Will a column bypass kit labeled for application on '97-01 work on a '03?
I have an six speed '03 coupe and am preparing for the steering to lock up someday.

Hi there,
No, I have not heard of any having the problem. This is not to say that it has not.
As far as when or where, noone can say, however, I can only give you feedback from what I know in my service to Corvette.
Late 97-2k, there were alot of issues, mostly due to incorrect feedback signal to the BCM. Now, this would create problems, because the BCM would not know if the column is locked or unlocked. This causes a default, and the lock up experienced.
Now, I can tell you, I have only done 1 02 model c5, and none of the 03.
So, with that in mind, I believe that the law of averages, you will NOT have an issue.
However, a CLB or column lock bypass should NEVER be thought of as an option. This will create insufficient load on the internal circuits of the BCM, and could result in a failure that would not be covered by your warranty.
Personally, EVERY SINGLE column lock issue that I have had inside my dealership, is ALWAYS prefaced by the 'PULL KEY, WAIT 10 SECONDS'
So with that, I would say that you should NOT worry, and enjoy c5.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

C4C5, Herbie here from Miami. Paul, I am disturbed. My 99 coupe M6 again, after all the recalls and fixes still has the column lock issue. This is around the fifth time back to the dealer. The car is stranded in the garage again as we speak.
I am tired of it already. Is there a real fix for this issue, or must I get rid of her?
I understand that the 2001 and above model years have no lock at all. this would be great if they would do that for my car.What do i have to do to get this fixed once and for all? I don't care what it takes, I just want to be rid of this problem in my life. Any suggestions???
Herbie

HI there,
I would definately make a case to the dealership, from what you have said.
Ask them if they would install the automatic version.
This is what I would suggest.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom