Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

(Comparison - 2008) Callaway vs. ZR1, the next chapter...

*89x2*

Comparisons were inevitable. Talking with some of the local guys the other day, they asked how the new ZR1 stacks up against the Callaway (SuperCharged) Corvette. For me, it was like 1990, all over again. :eek:hnoes

By the numbers, the 2009 ZR1 claims an extra 20 hp over the 2008 Callaway Corvette’s numbers, but those numbers are still preliminary. For each, things may still change… The ZR1 uses lightweight carbon fiber panels and an aluminum frame for weight reduction. The Callaway’s composite hood reduces weight significantly over the stock piece and offers a signature look, just as it did back in the 90’s. :cool

“But the ZR1 has big brakes, etc.” Yep, standard, it does, but the Callaway can be specified with brakes that are actually proven to be better than the C6 Z06 design and with suspension options and ultra-light wheels and wide, sticky tires, one could edge out the ZR1 on a road course with the right options selected! Pair those options with the sport seats and you would have one heck of a Club Racer! :cool

So here we are, bench racing over a car that has yet to hit the roads. It is what we do. One final thought on the Callaway vs. ZR1 debate that has remained true now for almost 20 years – the Callaway can be had in a convertible. Advantage, Callaway! :upthumbs

What are your thoughts on all this??? :w

attachment.php

While a 2008 SC Callaway vs ZR-1 comparison by the numbers, the SC Callaway will be down 20 HP, but I see it paired up against the Z06 more than the ZR-1.

Now compare the ZR-1 against the 2008 Callaway C16 ;). Callaway is up 30HP by the numbers plus better stopping power, suspension, and interior.

It certainly does feel like 1990 once again.

-Luigi
:cool

...with the predicted "Adjusted Dealer Markups" on the ZR1 that will probably take its ~100k price tag another 20-30 grand higher, the C16 does make even more sense to me as well.

With 650hp, the power advantage goes to the Callaway (C16) and you then get a MUCH better interior to accompany the other Callaway components that are otherwise, optional on the Callaway SC Corvette. :lou

c16tri2.JPG

Yep, my bad....

2008 Callaway C16 vs 2009 Corvette ZR-1! ;LOL

-Luigi

You guys probably know I don't follow the Corvette stuff too well (I look at the pictures, but don't read as much as you guys probably do) but from my perspective...

The ZR1 is kind of ugly and looks kind of like a Hot Wheels car. I think the Callaway Corvettes AND the Callaway C16 beat it hands down in the looks department. We'll have to see about the performance area though.

GM media implied that the interior was different on the ZR1, but from my point of view, I don't see anything different from a regular Corvette... what was changed?

The 15.5 inch front brakes on the ZR1 do look pretty nice! The wheels... not so much!

For me, it was like 1990, all over again. :eek:hnoes
Haha, that's awesome! I had thought the same thing! It will be interesting to see how they compare in terms of price, performance, and of course style.

What also will be interesting is to see what Callaway can do with the ZR1. Some of the coolest Callaway C4's were based on the ZR-1, I wonder if that will be true for the C6 as well? Maybe on a car built for FI, Callaway can throw some turbos on a Corvette again?? :cool

Ok here my thought on this comparison.

The Call away is ahead with the looks, like Brandea says, the ZR1 looks like a dinky toy! Also the ZR1 has the extra stuff like add ons on the car and Call away makes the hole car in one piece.

The ZR1 is ahead with the chassis and body parts materials. There is nothing that is going to beat the carbon fiber.

The Call away (C16) is ahead with the interior the normal Call away is the same as the ZR1. I hoped the ZR1 would have something extra like special seats etc etc but it's just the optional leather interior as far as i can see.

The ZR1 has a fantastic supercharger with internal cooling. I think its really cool and the Call away supercharger can't even come near that. Its ashame the ZR1 supercharger is butt ugly and I have no idea why they show it through the hood. A Ferrari V12 is nice to look at through the hood lid, the ZR1 flat pancake and plastic covers?? Don't know...

I think and hope the ZR1 will take a lot off potential customers from Call away, but to me that is only better. Call away is exclusive and isn't for the masses!
My point of view :D

Groeten Peter

Ok here my thought on this comparison.

The ZR1 has a fantastic supercharger with internal cooling. I think its really cool and the Call away supercharger can't even come near that.
Groeten Peter

Peter, the ZR1 cooler cores are right on the top of the engine (that is why it has the engine cover - to hide the ugliness :W)

The Callaway SC cars use a liquid cooler with an external core and direct the liquid then through a plate between the blower housing and heads :cool

Peter,

Take a look again at the Magnusen/Callaway design. As Chris mentions, the liquid to air intercooler is between the blower and the heads. I think that is superior to the design that GM chose to go with.

While I agree that the only improvement that Callaway can do is to come up with a carbon body, the reality is that it would only drive more buyers out of the market because they will do it with more attention to detail and precision (ie higher cost) than a major auto manufacturer like GM could.

I do not have anything against the ZR-1, but if I am to go to the investment level of the ZR-1, you might just go the extra bit and get something trully spectacular like the C16. :)

-Luigi

Oke if that is the case I think GM did a very good job keeping the charger as low as possible especially when the intercooler cores are in there. The Magnuson looks great but it is to high so it will not fit under a normal hood. The design Callaway now uses for the hood (for the blower)that is very nice (C16 hood) but the first hood with the bulge looked a little weird. The ZR1 manages to keep everything under the original hood.
But if it were my money I would go for the perfection that Callaway stands for. :)

Groeten Peter

Oke if that is the case I think GM did a very good job keeping the charger as low as possible especially when the intercooler cores are in there. The Magnuson looks great but it is to high so it will not fit under a normal hood. The design Callaway now uses for the hood (for the blower)that is very nice (C16 hood) but the first hood with the bulge looked a little weird. The ZR1 manages to keep everything under the original hood.
But if it were my money I would go for the perfection that Callaway stands for. :)

Groeten Peter

PETER, YOU NEED TO LOOK MORE CLOSELY AT THE 09 ZR1 HOOD IN THE PHOTOS; IT IS A HIGH RISE HOOD WITH A LARGE FLAT SECTION AROUND THE WINDOW.BIG JOHN,

PETER, YOU NEED TO LOOK MORE CLOSELY AT THE 09 ZR1 HOOD IN THE PHOTOS; IT IS A HIGH RISE HOOD WITH A LARGE FLAT SECTION AROUND THE WINDOW.BIG JOHN,

It reminds me of the original Callaway SC hood, with a plexiglass viewing port ;squint:

mt.jpg

randt.jpg

candd.jpg

Haha, that's awesome! I had thought the same thing! It will be interesting to see how they compare in terms of price, performance, and of course style.

What also will be interesting is to see what Callaway can do with the ZR1. Some of the coolest Callaway C4's were based on the ZR-1, I wonder if that will be true for the C6 as well? Maybe on a car built for FI, Callaway can throw some turbos on a Corvette again?? :cool

The turbo part won't happen in the base cars current configuration, as the turbos would require too much from a packaging perspective (for emissions compliance).

Speculation on pricing by dealers, it IS 1990 all over again :W

I remember Rosenthal Chevy getting the $$$$$ sued out of them for selling their first ZR1 out from under the guy it was ordered for :bash

Speculation on pricing by dealers, it IS 1990 all over again :W
I wonder if in 2026 there will be lots of <500 mile 2009 ZR1's coming out of the woodwork from speculators who tucked them away in garages?

Well if they paint them in Old Lyme Green (price per quart of paint as if it was solid pearls with liquid gold :eek ) they will be tucked away for very special occasions..Just too expensive to touch up any road rash on...:eek:hnoes

So.....solution: buy two or 3 and drive the heck out of at least 1 or 2! :upthumbs

PS Texas license plates add 100 HP

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom