Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Coolant leak on the '91

H

Henri 79

Hello all,

I have a very tiny coolant leak in my '91. It is in front of the engine and all I can see is coolant dripping of the front x-member.
Not knowing the '91 (the TPI in particular) very well yet, what's there that can cause this leak? Besides the waterpump of course.
What I already discovered is that after a ten minute drive home, the dripping coolant was still cold, the upper radiator hose was warm (meaning the thermostat was opened).
So I think it is in a system 'next' to the waterpump/hoses/radiator/engine block. Right?

I've already made arrangements with a Corvette shop to check it out. In the mean time I'll continue to use the Vette, because the leakage is so minimal, just a very small puddle just after you turn off the engine. It drips for 10 minutes, then it stops?
In the mean time I'll keep two eyes on the coolant level before each trip...

Strange...

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
Henri, more than likely, the leak is the first indication that your water pump is starting to go and therefore is in need of replacement. Good luck with your mechanic.

_ken :w

C

c4ever

Gotta agree with Ken. I would check the weep hole on the water pump. When it weeps you weep.:L
Here's to a quick fix:beer

H

Henri 79

Thanks guys. That's what I suspected... And what the shop suspects as well.

Is this considered an expensive repair in the States?
I've called the shop again and they expect to have the pump replaced in 4 hours. Including a new pump that will cost me 400 to 500 USD. (not sure what the conversion rate between Euro's and USD is).

If it was on the '79 I'd do it myself. Actually, I already have replaced the pump on the '79.
But on the '91, there are THOUSANDS of hoses in front of that engine!!!

B

boblx2a

I replaced the water pump on my '86 within the last couple of years and it cost about $65.00 for the water pump. That was based on mechanic's prices. And that is using American currency, don't also know the exchange rate to Euros. I have no idea what the labor would be to do that but I would not do it again for a hundred dollars. :)

Good luck with it..........

JFE

Corvette
1991 Polo Green Convertible
91 with over heating engine

The engine over heats when driving in town. No problems going down the road. Temp gauge sets at about 2 o'clock running down road and 3 o'clock in town. What's up. It smells hot when you get out of the car. :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom