Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CORVETTE RACING AT BARBER: SPOILER

cor123

Corvette
2009 GT1 Championship Edition
Press Release:
CORVETTE RACING AT BARBER: Eight is Great!

Milner, Udell sweep Pro class in No. 63 Z06 GT3.R as DXDT takes a double win

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (September 8, 2024) – Momentum and luck went the way of Tommy Milner and Alec Udell again as the pair drove DXDT Racing’s No. 63 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 GT3.R to its seventh and eighth straight GT World Challenge America Pro-class victories at Barber Motorsports Park.

Milner and Udell set a record for consecutive victories in the Pro class with their fourth consecutive weekend sweep. More importantly, the results set up a winner-take-all showdown for the Pro Drivers and Teams championships at next month’s Eight Hours of Indianapolis to close the season with the No. 63 duo second in the standings but only seven points behind.

Barber also marked the second consecutive double-win for DXDT Racing with the Z06 GT3.Rs also picking up a second Pro-Am victory for Bryan Sellers and Bryson Morris following Race One in the newly minted No. 64 Corvette.

Saturday was a showcase all the way around for DXDT and the No. 63 Corvette. Udell captured pole position for the first of two 90-minute races and led for the bulk of his opening stint. Factory driver Milner cycled through the lead and withstood a massive challenge from the second-place BMW with the two cars running less than a second apart for the better part of 25 minutes to the end.

Meanwhile, Morris advanced from third to second in his opening stint with Sellers chasing down and eventually passing for the class lead and win with a little less than four minutes remaining. It marked the second victory in three races for the new pairing.

In Race Two, the outlook appeared dim for another win for Milner and Udell. The Corvette started second in class but sixth overall, and Milner survived multiple rounds of contact on the opening lap but held his position in class. He swapped over to Udell with 50 minutes to go. The DXDT pit crew was more than two seconds faster in the pitlane than the class-leading BMW, which got Udell that much closer to the front.

Following a full-course yellow and restart with 20 minutes left, Udell was comfortably in second and pushing to catch the leader when the BMW had to pit with a fuel issue, allowing the Corvette to speed past for the unlikely victory.

Sellers and Morris came up just short of another Pro-Am podium and placed fourth in class.

DXDT Racing closes the GT World Challenge America season with its two Corvette Z06 GT3.Rs at the Eight Hours of Indianapolis – part of the Intercontinental GT Challenge – from Indianapolis Motor Speedway on October 2-6.

DXDT RACING CORVETTE POST-EVENT QUOTES

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 63 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R: "It was very hard today, for sure. We got lucky at the start. I got hit twice on the left-rear and thought something was broken or wrong, but I think the track was just super-dirty. We were lucky to get away with that one. As we expected, we weren't the fastest car. Alec did a great job and we had a great pit stop. This DXDT team just excels in every area. I'm really proud to be part of this race team and to drive this Corvette Z06 GT3.R. Everyone keeps asking about the championship and I didn't want to talk about it for a long time. But after today for us, things are falling into our hands. Now it's a discussion, and I'm happy to go to Indy with a good chance to win it."

(On Saturday’s win): “We knew track position was going to be big. We didn't think we had the fastest car out there, but this Corvette was amazing on the tires at the end. The 99 pushed me very hard and probably could have made it a little harder for me, for sure. I'm super-excited for DXDT and Alec my teammate. This team... unbelievable. I could never have dreamed this."

ALEC UDELL, NO. 63 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R: “The 99 BMW was quick all weekend and really showed their pace in the race today. We were just trying to hitch a line to them and drag as far as we could. It's a bummer for them, but Tommy and I will pick up the pieces and we'll take the win. You take what comes to you. We maximized what we had today and just got lucky that the 99 had an issue, which you never like to see from a racing perspective but it's racing and we've all been on that side of the game before. Great job and really happy for the team today."

BRYAN SELLERS, NO. 64 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R: (on teammate Bryson Morris after Saturday’s Pro-Am win) "He's young but has the racing IQ of someone with decades of experience. He’s done an outstanding job for us. It’s not easy to come into a team full of veterans and be the young guy, but he fits in perfectly and performs exceptionally well. His first stint was incredible – super consistent – and we're just thrilled to have him on board. He’s someone who's going to grow and become a major force in this sport."

BRYSON MORRIS, NO. 64 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R: "It feels great to have two wins now. I’m getting more and more comfortable with the car, and of course, Bryan has been a huge help in that. I’m grateful he was able to finish strong and bring home the win. A big thanks to everyone and congratulations to DXDT for their double podium."

Ryan Smith
Judy Kouba Dominick
1725981295699.png

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom