Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cost of Cooksey Limited edition Z06.

NEWLY

Corvette
2003 AE COUPE
On the fence about buying the Cooksey Z06. Would like to know what I should expect to pay. Is there an "average" or "normal" amount I should expect to pay? I have seen anything from 49K to 66K but also heard of original sticker price. I am in the midwest if that would make a difference.

I want to negotiate with facts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Newly

101-LG.jpg

Although I can't help specifically with your request, I'll send a PM to a member that should be able to get you in the ballpark. CAC Staff member GS Diva works for Supporting Dealer Corvette Mike and has sold at least one Cooksey Edition that I recall. I'll send her a link to this thread. :thumb

And while I'm at it, let me say WELCOME to the :CAC
When you buy that 427 (one of my personal favorites by the way) be sure to post some pix so we can celebrate with you!!

:wJane Ann

Hi Newly,

Ah...the Cooksey, one of my favorites. As you already know,there were only 427 Wil Cookseys made available for US sale so you're talking about extremely limited production. And, of course, that means that this car commands high dollars at times. Jane Ann is correct...I have sold a couple of these Z06s, the last being about 6 months ago. It all depends on the mileage. The lower the miles, the higher the price. There was one recently on EBay with about 2800 miles that was at $66,000, then again at $65,000. No bites at all. To my knowledge, that Z06 did not sell. Obviously, the price was the issue.

What are the miles on the one you're contemplating? What's the asking price? Get in touch with me at any time. Maybe I can advise you if I have that info.

Elaine
Cell: 617-872-8252

He wants me to make an offer although he is not ready to sell today. It has about 10K miles on it and it is like new. I know this man and he has always kept his cars in perfect condition. I want to make an offer that is reasonable without being too low or too high.

Looking for a range I should offer and start at the lower end and work my way up. My "boss" says this will be my last Corvette. I am retired and she is still working so she has a LOT of input on this transaction.

Thanks for any help, Elaine.

Newly

Hi,

10k miles is not that high so it's not going to be cheap! I'd start at $50k and end at $58k. However, if he's not ready to sell, then your offer may not appeal to him. Are you totally hung up on a Cooksey? If so, you will pay more for one than any other 2008 Z06. That's the name of the game when it comes to a very low production Vette.

Let us know how it goes.

Elaine

The Cooksey is another one of those decal/badge/paint specials that Chevy came up with, and isn't as rare as the Ron Fellows edition of 2007. The truth is they are "worth" what every other similar Z is worth. You may choose to pay more for whatever reason, but not everyone would. I used to have a 07 Ron Fellows, and sold it for not a lot more than the price of a nice regular Z. There are a few Cookseys and Fellows making their way to market now, and I'd think twice about paying a big premium. I've noticed some owners testing the waters with stupid asking prices, but that doesn't mean they will get it. It doesn't even mean they are serious about selling. It's a buyers market, IMO.

Any specialty car or special edition is worth what someone is willing to pay. As far as collectibility in the future, plan on another 40 to 50 years before that becomes a factor, if the market remains as it is today. The hot cars at auction now are 1950 s and 60s.

I've just learned that we bought a Wil Cooksey yesterday with 8k miles. We expect it to be in within a couple of days. It will be priced at $59,900.

Elaine

I've just learned that we bought a Wil Cooksey yesterday with 8k miles. We expect it to be in within a couple of days. It will be priced at $59,900.

Elaine

He is going to talk to his dealer tomorrow about a new convert. and he will get a trade in price and that is what he will sell the car for.
Are trade-in prices the actual price they are offering for the car or does a dealer raise the price of the trade in so the buyer thinks he is getting the new car for a better price? Hope you understand my question.

Newly

He is going to talk to his dealer tomorrow about a new convert. and he will get a trade in price and that is what he will sell the car for.
Are trade-in prices the actual price they are offering for the car or does a dealer raise the price of the trade in so the buyer thinks he is getting the new car for a better price? Hope you understand my question.

Newly

A trade-in price is not the same as a retail price. The trade-in price is lower. So, if that Cooksey owner is going to get a price for his Z06 toward a new convertible, that would be a good price for the Z, I would imagine. There are all sorts of ways to price a car. It's all about the "bottom line".

Elaine

A trade-in price is not the same as a retail price. The trade-in price is lower. So, if that Cooksey owner is going to get a price for his Z06 toward a new convertible, that would be a good price for the Z, I would imagine. There are all sorts of ways to price a car. It's all about the "bottom line".

Elaine

So true - and how many people forget that very basic economic reality. When I deal for a car, I ask for the net price, at the curb, including all house fees and taxes. That pretty much takes the dancing out of the prom.

Some big dealers hate that because they make a ton of money on add-ons, like $500 administrative fees, and $150 mandatory door edge guards. Those are real figures a local Hendrick dealer quoted me.

tell him to ask for a no trade in price too..that will tell you how much they are actually giving him for his trade in.... you always make out better with not trade...they make their money on your car, but make it seem like they are giving you a great deal.

That's nice!

101-LG.jpg

Although I can't help specifically with your request, I'll send a PM to a member that should be able to get you in the ballpark. CAC Staff member GS Diva works for Supporting Dealer Corvette Mike and has sold at least one Cooksey Edition that I recall. I'll send her a link to this thread. :thumb

And while I'm at it, let me say WELCOME to the :CAC
When you buy that 427 (one of my personal favorites by the way) be sure to post some pix so we can celebrate with you!!

That's one fine looking vette - I never realized how nice the Will Cooksey's are until I saw this picture.

That's one fine looking vette - I never realized how nice the Will Cooksey's are until I saw this picture.

They are GORGEOUS and my favorite of all the C6 Z06's!! I wanted my husband to buy one when he was looking, but he bought his '08 silver one because it only had 1,800 miles! Love the Cooksey! Extremely low production of this special model so there will be fewer and fewer of them around which will keep the price high.

Elaine

I'm with you, Elaine. The Cooksey Edition is my favorite C5 OR C6 Z06.
I even like the color. :D If I were to buy a Z06 (unfortunately my knees rule that highly unlikely)... that would be the one. :thumb

So i read all the posts in anticipation of an ending to this story - so what happened??????;shrug
Let's take our threads to a conclusion even if it is "no deal, wouldn't negotiate" or whatever. I think if a member tries to help with requested advice they deserve to know the outcome!!:mad

The Cooksey is another one of those decal/badge/paint specials that Chevy came up with, and isn't as rare as the Ron Fellows edition of 2007. The truth is they are "worth" what every other similar Z is worth. You may choose to pay more for whatever reason, but not everyone would. I used to have a 07 Ron Fellows, and sold it for not a lot more than the price of a nice regular Z. There are a few Cookseys and Fellows making their way to market now, and I'd think twice about paying a big premium. I've noticed some owners testing the waters with stupid asking prices, but that doesn't mean they will get it. It doesn't even mean they are serious about selling. It's a buyers market, IMO.

Any specialty car or special edition is worth what someone is willing to pay. As far as collectibility in the future, plan on another 40 to 50 years before that becomes a factor, if the market remains as it is today. The hot cars at auction now are 1950 s and 60s.

I think that CATBERT makes a very valid point (as he usually does) :beerthat so many enthusiasts in the market often overlook. Often they refer to the "investment potential" of a certain car. IMHO that is a factor that should carry very little weight when buying a C5 or C6 Corvette. Seriously how many of us are going to be around when these cars start bringing "collector" type big money. Buy the car based on what the car can do for you today - the "fun to drive" - enjoyment factor ( or if you are in to just looking at the beauty of it in the garage thats's okay too) but buy the car based on "what can the car do for me today" reasoning. Not so sure many of us will be around to watch our investment cross the block when the right time comes to sell it.

I think that CATBERT makes a very valid point (as he usually does) :beerthat so many enthusiasts in the market often overlook. Often they refer to the "investment potential" of a certain car. IMHO that is a factor that should carry very little weight when buying a C5 or C6 Corvette. Seriously how many of us are going to be around when these cars start bringing "collector" type big money. Buy the car based on what the car can do for you today - the "fun to drive" - enjoyment factor ( or if you are in to just looking at the beauty of it in the garage thats's okay too) but buy the car based on "what can the car do for me today" reasoning. Not so sure many of us will be around to watch our investment cross the block when the right time comes to sell it.

Great point,
It's like when our parents put the plastic on the sofa in the living room which was only for guest's, and dad had the
new car's seats covered in that clear plastic.
We are lucky for people like Catbert and Elaine on this site :beer

And it is a beautiful car in honor of a great guy....."you deserve it Will" :thumb
:thumb:thumb

My Corvette as a investment

A very good point was made about the reality of keeping a Corvette as a investment which is not what you should do it is enjoying the car whether you are driving it or showing it off at a car show.
I told my son that my Corvette could be his depending on how he treats me and of course he laughed and said that was not on his mind and he hopes I will be around for many more years, Of course being 71 years old makes me enjoy every day I can wake up and be able to have fun with the car and feel young.

I had a beautiful 1971 LT-1 that I owned for about 10 years.
I sold it for much more than what I paid for it (and I paid a lot for it back then), but I definitely didn't make any money off of it.

I stored it in a heated facility during the winter months. I had the rear bumpers re-chromed, tune-ups (at least 2 - I didn't put much
for milage on the car), had the oil/filter changes done, suspension (leaf spring) work done, etc, etc.

I may have driven the car for 10 years for "free" so to speak, but I definitely did not make money off of it, and I would consider a 1971
LT-1 (in top condition) to be much more collectable than cars manufactured in recent years.

I had a beautiful 1971 LT-1 that I owned for about 10 years.
I sold it for much more than what I paid for it (and I paid a lot for it back then), but I definitely didn't make any money off of it.
<<
>>

I would consider a 1971
LT-1 (in top condition) to be much more collectable than cars manufactured in recent years.

I would agree, your LT - 1 has proven the test of time, as it is still a very desirable car.
The Cooksey car in all it's beauty, along with the Ron Fellows Cars, are some of the best Z-06's, but should be
enjoyed. It is what there engineers and the people they are named for love to see.
Now that the 60th Anniv. 427 has been added to the group, people believe that is the car to have. Don't take this
wrong they are wonderful, and fine examples of GM's buy the last year of a model run....
But if you go to the plant, you see all the white cars being built one after another....It will be interesting to see
just how many 60th and 60th 427's are built. And don't forget GM is in the bussiness to sell cars.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom