Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Could a rich condition cause...

Corvette
Blk/Blk '96 LT4 Coupe
higher operating temps in stop n' go type driving? I know my car is runnin' rich (had some tuning done) and I will correct the problem. What I'm wondering is this; I had the PCM re-tuned (fan temps lowered was part of it) and, w/ the a/c on or off, it definitely runs a bit cooler on the highway BUT in city driving it almost runs the same temps w/ the a/c on or off. Before the re-tune w/ the a/c off the car always ran cool (180-190) regardless of city vs highway driving. Now, in stop n' go stuff I'm seeing temps climb to 209 w/ the a/c off yet as soon as I hit the highway it cools right down. I'm aware of all the cooling system checks (not the problem), the problem lies w/ the re-tune. It's weird, now the car runs almost cooler w/ the a/c on than off and it's a direct result of the re-tune. My thoughts are this temp problem has something to do w/ the rich condition.

Any ideas or educated opinions?

Thx,
Jeff

I am by far no expert. I thought I had a lean condition, and it was leading to higher temps. I know that when you have a lean condition in raises the combustion temps, hence making the engine run hotter. Never heard of it from a rich condition.

Who did your tuning?

Craig is right... a lean condition will raise temps.

What thermostat are you using? Perhaps the coolant isn't staying in the radiator long enough to cool it better. Maybe a stuck open thermostat???

When my Tstat was stuck open it took forever to heat up at all...maybe it is sticking closed if anything?

JEFNLSA said:
It's weird, now the car runs almost cooler w/ the a/c on than off and it's a direct result of the re-tune. My thoughts are this temp problem has something to do w/ the rich condition.

Any ideas or educated opinions?

Thx,
Jeff

Are you sure your primary fan is coming on when it should. The secondary runs when you turn the air on.

Glenn
:w

vetteboy86 said:
I am by far no expert. I thought I had a lean condition, and it was leading to higher temps. I know that when you have a lean condition in raises the combustion temps, hence making the engine run hotter. Never heard of it from a rich condition.

Who did your tuning?

Bryan @ PCMforless...

I guess it may be lean (not rich) but regardless the tune is "out of whack". Just spoke w/ Bryan and he's going to correct the problem. I'll keep ya' posted on the results.

Btw...The thermostat is operating correctly.

Are those guys any good, customer service and all? I am considering having mine done, until I can get time to do it myself.

Keep us informed on what you do.

My mistake...:duh

It is a lean condition that I have and, from what I've learned, that can cause the cooling problems that I'm having.

Yes, PCMforless (Alvin & Bryan) offer excellent customer service and nobody can touch their prices. www.pcmforless.com

I'm having some head work done and all my tuning issues will be solved after the work is completed.

I'll keep ya' posted...

Jeff :w

A lean condition can indeed raise coolant temps...AS can retarted timing...don't overlook that possibility.

A rich condition will cool the combustion temps down as mentioned...but will cause higher temps in the headers due to fuel continuing to burn as it exits the cylinder.

Bill

I am sure you will get to the bottom of your problem. Bryan is the BEST! :D

He did my PCM and my Vette ran like a new car! :D

Save The Wave! :w

JEFNLSA said:
My mistake...:duh

It is a lean condition that I have and, from what I've learned, that can cause the cooling problems that I'm having.

Yes, PCMforless (Alvin & Bryan) offer excellent customer service and nobody can touch their prices. www.pcmforless.com

I'm having some head work done and all my tuning issues will be solved after the work is completed.

I'll keep ya' posted...

Jeff :w

you can really mess things up while running lean (i.e. blow the engine). Get the tune done as soon as you can.

On a cooling note, it is normal for the engine temps in our cars to have a wider range of temperature when the A/C is off. When it is on, the fans run... when it is off, the fans turn on and off based on temperature... so the fans kick on when the temperature gets to X degrees (228 for stock) and off again at Y degrees (215 for stock). I am sure yours is set lower, but I assume still uses the same "range" to control temps.

Vettelt193 said:
you can really mess things up while running lean (i.e. blow the engine). Get the tune done as soon as you can.

On a cooling note, it is normal for the engine temps in our cars to have a wider range of temperature when the A/C is off. When it is on, the fans run... when it is off, the fans turn on and off based on temperature... so the fans kick on when the temperature gets to X degrees (228 for stock) and off again at Y degrees (215 for stock). I am sure yours is set lower, but I assume still uses the same "range" to control temps.

Good to know...:ugh I'm jumpin' on this right now. In fact I'm takin' the car in to Exotic Muscle (www.exoticmuscle.com) to have the opti, water pump (all under warranty) replaced & some head work (amongst other things :D ) done at the same time. During the cars down time I will send the PCM in and have Bryan take care of the tune.

Thx for the replies gents...:)

Jeff

I've heard great things aboug exotic muscle... hope all goes well, and I am sure it will run awesome when it is all done.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom