Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CR and Octane

Bo Dillingham

Corvette
1965 crimson pearl (2002 cadillac?)
As a follow up to my question under "Rebuilding a 300 HP 327" which was answered very well by 59 Tom, I am getting several different opinions from friends about compression ratios. I have been driving small blocks for years with CR's in the 9-10.5:1 range on good old pump gas without a problem. Suddenly everyone is telling me that anything over 9:1 will result in catastrophies. Tom mentioned in his advice that the original 10.5:1 should be OK as long as I can get good gas locally. Can anyone expand on this? Is there a prefered brand or additive?
PLEASE NOTE: I may possibly be getting away with pump gas lately because the compression on my old vette is probably low; I haven't investigated it at this time, because my nephew has been driving the car for about ten years on the cheapest gasoline available. I intend to rebuild it this winter, and do not want to spend the time and money on a compression ratio that will not work on the street.
As usual, thanks again for all your help.
Bo

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
Gasoline

This might help you. (If I gave it to you before Bo, please excuse my forgetfulness. :eek:)

_ken :w

Bo Dillingham

Corvette
1965 crimson pearl (2002 cadillac?)
CR and octane

Thanks to both of you for the answers. I want you to know that I looked around for answers before I bothered the CAC, and I managed to find the Klotzlube.com site that has some good info on octane and mixing fuels. Unfortunately, like the website Ken gave me, it puts a 10.5:1 ratio next to an octane rating over 100.

I am confident, however, that the advice from Keith will work, and I will probably go with the 10.5:1.

Thanks again.
Bo

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
BTW, there is an excellent article in the Decmber issue of Hot Rod Magazine. ;)

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom