Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crankcase pressure related oil leaks on TT?

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Recently I've had to replace my intake gaskets, oil pressure switch & sender as well as deal with a valve cover oil leak I had since I bought that car.

After finally getting the intake leak free (I hope) a couple of days ago I noticed I was losing oil (very slight not really anything to worry about) through the top of the dipstick tube.

On close inspection it seems I have broken off about a third of the plastic lip at the top of the dipstick and I have ordered a new dipstick to correct this.

Although a couple of the above items may be attributable to errors by me (not enough RTV on edges of intake last time I

continuation (don't know what just happenend)

...not enough RTV and unnecessary replacement (oil pressure switch was bought as insurance) I'm starting to wonder if I'm experiencing oil problems due to crankcase pressure?

Is there anything to look for on our TTs (air/oil seperator).

The dipstick is quite clearly broken (probably as a result of me checking the oil level so much!) so I guess that is why a small dribble of oil finds its way out of the tube though it is still seated so I'm guessing there isn't a worn ring problem for example (made good power on the dyno and doesn't burn oil or smoke on startup).

Just seems I'm attending to oil leak issues a lot lately.

Anyone experienced a crankcase pressure / oil breather problem???

I know the L98 intakes can be a PITA to keep sealed tight - they can also warp :eek as I had happen on my F body, or so they told me at the Pontiac Dealership...

I think each of my cars with the exception of the B2K has had a leaky intake :(

Malc, I wish you well with your endeavor! One thing at a time... hopefully all of the gaskets and so forth are fully sealed. Independently of the gasket situation, however, you can do a leakdown on the motor to determine if you're getting excessive blow-by. A common problem that is accented with turbo motors is that a slight loss of compression in any cylinder due to ring failure will cause excessive blow-by into the PCV system. Another symptom is that oil misting out of the dipstick will be evident. I know you mentioned that yours is broken and I'm hoping that the broken portion is the only problem. However, if you find that the dipstick actually pushes itself up out of the tube after you take the car out for some serious "boosted" runs-- I'd highly recommend that compression/leakdown tests are performed.

malc350 said:
Anyone experienced a crankcase pressure / oil breather problem???

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom