Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crankcase Vent Filter

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
Since I put the Performer Intake on my engine, the vent pipe between the right valve cover and the air filter housing will not fit very well due to the increase height. So I was thinking about goint to one of those aftermarket vent filter...the type that just pushes into the rubber grommet in the valve cover. Anyone done this? What brand, part number is it? I know the original pipe size is 3/4" OD.

Thanks

As you pointed out, the vent tube just won't fit quite right whan you swap anything- intake/carb/rocker covers. I've used a push in type breather for years with no problems. Same type they used on the pre-69 SBC's with the open crankcase vent system, the ones before PCV. Find one at your parts store that has the correct size nipple for your rocker cover grommet, push it in and drive on.

This one has a nipple for a hose to someplace- The ones I've used don't have that, but it's an example of what you're seem to be looking for.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-4284/

Yep....that is what I have been looking for....just not able to find one a push-in that will work with the grommet in the valve cover. Like I said, the vent pipe has a 3/4" OD....and I have found everything but this size. I could cut the vent pipe I have...but I really do not want to do that. I was thinking about using a short piece of 5/8" copper pipe and then use a clamp-on type. The copper pipe should have an OD close to 3/4".

The ones I have are pretty old school Mr. Gasket brand. And the nipple on the bottom fits a 3/4 grommet in the cover. IF you find one that's a little bigger, I'd bet they have the correct grommet- I'm thinking the hole in the cover is 7/8, the grommet seals there and the breather pushes in. Another one of those places that tight is good.

Found three of them at Summit Racing, all K&N brand at $18-$19 each. I am going to check-out the local Speed Shop this weekend...I am sure they will have one.

Local speed shop had the same K&N breathers and then I found another one that I liked better...it was $3.85 out the door.

Can't beat that!!!!

When you have time, shoot some pic's so I also know what it looks like :)

Greetings Peter

I will take a picture of what everything looks like all put together.

FINALLY pictures of the breather I bought for $3.xx

Breather002.jpg

Breather001.jpg

Picutre Uploaded...

Finally put those pictures up that I have been promising to do. Now I just need to figure-out what to do with the plastic hose connection sticking-out of the air filter housing. It is not round, so a plug will not work....I'll figure something out one of these days. And yes I know my air duct is torn...problem with not having the AC compressor installed so there is nothing to support the lines that go to it and it lays on the duct. On my list of things to do.

Yes a cork will plug the round hole in the white plastic filter, but not the opening in the air filter housing..which is what I want to do. I want to completely remove the white plastic filter out of the housing and block-off the opening. Something to work on...

Look around in a do it yourself store, I ones found some round plastic things to fit into the brake pistons (before painting). Maybe an idea? :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom