Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

CRANKSHAFT BLOW BY AND IAC MOTOR ISSUES

EOLIVER

Corvette
1989 DARK BLU METALIC SIX SPEED CONV
My mechanic say that my 1987 Auto, Coupe is suffering from considerable crankshaft blowby causing problems with the IAC Motor. Does this term mean a lower end or full engine rebuild. If so how much can I expect to pay for a complete rebuild in the San DiegoCA. area?

He didn't happen to say crankcase blowby, did he? That would make a little sense: worn out piston rings letting combustion gas get in the crankcase, which in turn gets sucked into the intake through the PCV valve. That would mean an engine rebuild. Did he do a compression check?

Ken

Is he a trusted mechanic ? Or did he just see years worth of crap on the IAC pintle/bore and then tells you that the engine has excessive blowby.:W
What IAC problems are you having ?

He is the best corvette mechanic in San Diego. Removing the oil cap confirmed that I have significant blow by occuring. Now I'm planning on selling the car. It's a shame because I have put a considerable amount of new parts on the car in the three years I have owned the car. Most corvette shops want between 5-7K to replace the engine (I don't have the space or tolls to rebuild at my home). Thanks everyone for all of your help over the years. I'm down to my 1989 six speed conv now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom