Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

crap - did i mess something up?

kridgley

Corvette
1975 Corvette, White T-Top
Hey guys, yet another problem ... I've had a clearance problem for the headlights for quite a while - just never got around to fixing it. Around the right headlight there is not enough room for it to come up at all the way, i thing i may need to flie and paint unless there is an adjustment somehwere. The left, the fiberglass came off of the little support running in front of the hood, I believe there is an apoxy that hold it there nice and tight.
The only thing it is a problem for, are turning on the headlights, they need help coming up and they scrape a bit when flipping up. So to temporarily solve that, I would turn them on, help them up, then use the little over-ride switch under the dash to keep them up - then when I'm dne driving it for a couple of days, just turn the over-ride off and let them down. Well I was taking advantage of the unusually warm January weather we had out here - driving it over a couple of days. Then I saw that there is snow coming ... Went to flip the lights down, no go. Tried it about 5 times, got agrivated and walked away. Then came back and tried to troubleshoot it. With the over-ride off, and I turn the lights on and off - nothing, so I turned them off and wiggles one headlight - not even a budge?

So What could cause them to stay up - did I mess up the vacuum actuators by doing this and now they're mad at me (broken)? Or could it be something else I'm not seeing. And is there a position adjustment for the headlights, or just a beam adjustment?

Thanks guys and gals, Kevin

I'm not sure of what you did. Can you provide more detail? Is there vaccum? Strange that they both would stop because of an adjustment on one. Check for vaccum at the diverter valves....middle front....

disconnect one of the hoses from the actuator...depending one which hose...sucking or blowing will make the door go up and down. if this does work it is a vac problem.

If I recall, it's vacuum that keeps them down. The rationale is that if you ever lose vacumm, for safety reasons, the lights will be "stuck" up and not down.
I think due to the mechanical linkage, you can't 'force' the lights down. You'll likely need to troubleshoot the vacuum.

I have the same issue with the fiberglass coming off the support right behind the passenger headlight. Chipped my brand new paint right off. I'm not exactly thrilled...

Vacuum doesn't keep the headlamp housings up or down--the vacuum actuator just moves it from one locking position to another.

There is a procedure in the manual for raising and lowering the headlamps by hand; you simply push/pull where the rod from the actuator attaches to the linkage.

To adjust (use plenty of WD-40 first--these bolts will have rusted and will shear off very easily, I also recommend replacing these bolts with stainless steel--readily available and cheap at Lowes and/or Home Depot):

Side to Side: There are collars on the pivot shafts near the bearings--loosen those with an allen tool and slide over.

UP and Down: There is a bolt sticking up on the pivot arm; turn in or out for up and down stop.

Front to Back: There are three bolts holding a plate that secures the whole linkage assembly, loosen these and slide back and forth.

Actuator Throw: The rod coming out of the actuator can be lengthened or shortened by turning the donut at the end of the rod.

If you get under the front of the car and raise and lower the headlamps manually several times, it will become evident how the whole system operates--adjusting them is easy once you see what's going on.

Another thing to check while you're under there, is to see if anything is obstructing the free movement of the assembly--it moves very close to the front parking lamp plug--these wires, if out of place, can cause the assembly to stick or move up/down slowly.

Guys...I'm talking from experience. I had a number of problems with my headlight. If you want to rule out the linkage. disconnect the hoses one at a time..apply vaccum (suck or blow..depending on which hose)and watch for what happens.

Jim

You ar correct if you loose vaccum in the up position they will stay up. BUT if you loose vaccum in the down position they will not go up.

Your lights have stayed up. it could be the linkage...but whats the likelihood both sayed up as a result of adjusting one?

I'd say its vaccum related. even if you jammed them you should get some movement.

jdp6000, thanks - i tried that and had a bad vacuum feed to the actuators - pretty corroded line, replaced it and they worked, with little help. Soon they were back to new.

photovette - thanks for the info on the adjustments, thats next :).

Glad I got that fixed before the snow - now I can cover it. :_rock

You guys rock, thanks again :beer

Kevin

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom