Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crate 454 RPM

D

DR.G

Hey everyone, I have been lurking around this site for a few months and I thought I would introduce myself and my car. My name is Dave and I have a 72 Red LS5, that has a mostly stock GM crate 454 Gen VI and I was wondering what kind RPM's are those with Big Blocks maxing out at? I have MSD ignition box 6AL and a MSD dist. my box pill is a 5600rpm and I am thinking about switching to a 6000. My car is a 4spd car with 308 gears in the rear end. Here is a pic, I hope this works.
Dave

100_0235.jpg

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hello Dave,

Welcome to Corvette Action Center. I love the paint job and the chrome bumpers. I don't know the correct rpm for a big block (my car only has a small block). But don't worry, I'm sure someone that knows will reply soon.

Good Luck, Happy driving, and feel free to ask every question you think of!

Koop

Corvette
YELLOW 69 modified GM Crate ZZ383, LS2 TBSS
Nice head lights and hood!

D

DR.G

Thanks, I also like the chrome bumpers. They are getting harder to find these days.:v

Glensgages

Corvette
Black '82 Coupe
both the 454/HO (part-number 12498778 ) and the ZZ454 (PN 12498777 ) are listed showing a maximum RPM of 5500, with each motor maxing-out HP @ 5250 RPM

T

TMPJoe

both the 454/HO (part-number 12498778 ) and the ZZ454 (PN 12498777 ) are listed showing a maximum RPM of 5500, with each motor maxing-out HP @ 5250 RPM

I would not rev that to 5500 repeatedly either... what is the tranny set up?

don't rev that motor high ... the 5600 is the rev limiter so I would see if they have a 5400 and use that ... no reason to rev any higher ....

I can't remember if they go in 200 increments... anyone?

PS Nice color!

Glensgages

Corvette
Black '82 Coupe
... the 5600 is the rev limiter so I would see if they have a 5400 and use that ... no reason to rev any higher ....

I can't remember if they go in 200 increments... anyone?
I know that AUTOMETER Shift-Lights come with 'pills', or 'chips', that are in 200-RPM increments:
I saw a guy drag-racing a stock ZZ502 (GM-suggested max RPM of 5800 ) in a mid-'70s Corvette with 3.90-gears & 29"-tall slicks, 'on-sale'headers & side-pipes, running 12-ohs @ 112 MPH, with his shift-light set at 5400 RPM, and a trap-speed of 5600 RPM, but he claimed she was outta-steam the last few hundred feet (open-headers may've helped ), and it may've gone-quicker with 3.73-gears.

T

TMPJoe

Glen.. not always the rear.. I run a 3.73 in mine .... I am right on the money when I hit the traps... would not go any deeper... I run a custom built stroker... it will handle 6000+- 200 but I don't do that ...

3.73 gears seem to work really well in the big block vette given the weight we carry if the car is a street machine with "stock" suspension and "frame".... I would recommend that to anyone as a good gear for motors pushing max HP at 5000-5500 RPM...

again though... others have different ideas.. always good to get other opinions....

but pushing high rpms on a crate big block will be a disaster eventually.. they just won't do that....

Glensgages

Corvette
Black '82 Coupe
Glen.. not always the rear.. I run a 3.73 in mine .... I am right on the money when I hit the traps... would not go any deeper... I run a custom built stroker... it will handle 6000+- 200 but I don't do that ...

3.73 gears seem to work really well in the big block vette given the weight we carry if the car is a street machine with "stock" suspension and "frame".... I would recommend that to anyone as a good gear for motors pushing max HP at 5000-5500 RPM...

again though... others have different ideas.. always good to get other opinions....

but pushing high rpms on a crate big block will be a disaster eventually.. they just won't do that....
:upthumbs

In the next year-or-so, I hope to put a solid-axle into the back of my '82, replace the wimpy 700R4 with a built THM400, and do some bracket-racing with the car, and my thinking was split between building the 26,000-mile L-83 short-block, a stock ZZ383, or a stock ZZ502, and be content running 12s, possibly 11s:
I just started-up a small business, and need to keep some cash on-hand, so I'll be using the blck/crank/rods/pistons from the Cross-Fire, and adding heads, cam, intake, carb, etc.

I believe if I'd have chosen a ZZ502, shifted and trapped @ about 5200 RPM with 30" slicks and 3.73s (almost 114 MPH? ), I coulda run 11s with ease, and the motor woulda out-lived me!!!!!

T

TMPJoe

I run a custom built turbo 350.... custom ATI converter... (its 8.5 inches talk about headache trying to go 70 on the highway!).... I would love to add a gear vendor unit to it for cruising....

I don't drag this car.. at the track with the gooyear stock 60 series tires it went a 12.37 due to wheel spin(had a 1.98 60 foot!!!!!!!!)... had to leave at 2000rpm and then it was sideways to 300 feet!.... ran a best of 118 though so it should be well into the 11's on pump gas... I can run a 200 shot... but again... why? I just like the way the car came out.. did a lot to the suspension ..... that was key... much nicer than it was when i brought it home from the dealer 27 years ago!

my race friends help me just a ton.. the cam is custom.. heads also... started out as sportsmen irons.... helps with heat when running high compression on crap gas!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom