Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cross-drilled/slotted rotors for a '96

Corvette
Blk/Blk '96 LT4 Coupe
Hi Jeff,

By the look of the items description, they look perfect for my LT4 also.
They must me pretty good for 1700 people to buy them?? That is one heck of a price for these rotors. I'm thinking about just buying them for my ride also!!
Santa is bringing me some stainless steel brake lines, bleeder kit and bilstein shocks for the LT4 :)
Later, Jim "Vette96ce"

J55 is 13 inch front and 12 inch rear. That is an extremely low price for all 4 rotors. It's either a great deal or terrible quality. Be sure to check Sportbrakes.com too. Several here have had good things to say, and they are Brembo. Zinc plate is good as most rust unless painted. Good deal on pads there too. Consider ceramic for lowest dust, quiet operation.

You should consider just going with slotted. The actual drilled ones can crack, the forged holes being much stronger. Check the return policy as sometimes they're warped a little out of the box, and cannot be turned. There are zillions of discussions on this, but it's boiled down to your budget. The stockers are really quite good as many upgrade to your standard J55.

Well, I ordered them. WTH...can't beat that price. 90 day guarantee - which isn't alot but enough to insure they are not warped. They ship out of CA. so I should have them in a few days! Should be a nice addition to the car...

They will look great with your wheels. What type pads are you using? Time to bleed the system too..

from the eBay ad said:
This auction includes a brand new set of (2) 13" FRONT & (2) 12" REAR GRIPFORCE cross-drilled and slotted rotors with FREE silver zinc plating:

It looks as though they should work for J55.

Let's us know how the install goes and pics for the look!

Will post some pics once installed. ;)

Right now I have ceramic pads....

Jeff,
I looked and looked at slotted and drilled rotors for my 96. What I found out was that these are from China and have been slotted and drilled after they were cast. So the note about these cracking applies. The "high-end" rotors have the holes cast in them and then a clean-up drilling afterwards. The slots are always done after casting.

These are not Brembo rotors as Brembo does not make a 13" rotor for the front...not even a stock one. At least according to Brembo they don't. I had one ebay seller tell me that he only sells Brembo, but when I asked for the Brembo part number, he went silent.

I hope these work out for you....I decided to pass on them. I learned that the slots act like a knife edge and slice the pads with every pass....gives the best braking surface....great for racing...but is sure going to eat pads up on the street. Also the rotors are likely to crack between the drilled holes.

Good to hear that you have a 90 day warranty on them...let us know how they hold-up. Really want to hear about them.

Of course for $500 you could have the C5 brake upgrade.

Later,
Lanny

I haven't seen a difference in pad wear with slots. I use Raybestos rotors with cast holes. They look bling behind the new silver A Molds. Work great.

I don't think Jeff will have a problem unless he really smokes the brakes repeatedly. Then the quality will come to bear.

Brembo is specified at Sportbrake and Power Slot I believe, but who knows. If I had all to do again I think cryo'd stockers would win as suggested by Superior Chevy. C5 upgrade has more pad and thicker rotors with better calipers but Not enough potential improvement over J55 for me.

Jefnlsa is a test bed for many products!:L

Merry Christmas

Jeff those are the ones that I bought for my 94 J55 Z07. Are they the quality of Brembo's? Probably not, but I was very pleased with the rotors and have not experienced any trouble with them. I only have about 500 miles on them but the stopping power is so much better than what I had on before. I bought mine with the Hawk pads, so far so good.

I am really happy with the J55 option on my 96 LT4, I wish I had the GS calipers that were Black with Corvette letters machined silver. Stock GM pads replaced at 55,000 miles and at 70,000 miles and I am happy with them for the street. Rotors have never been turned and we used a mag base with a 1 inch travel dial indicator to check them while they were still on the car before I repacked the wheel bearings. Edit repacked the TA fronts not my vette I was tired.

....."I repacked the wheel bearings."

How do you repack the wheel bearings on a 96???...I thought they were sealed and the entire hub assembly has to be replaced?? Tell me more.....

LannyL81

LannyL81 said:
Of course for $500 you could have the C5 brake upgrade.

Later,
Lanny

Wow, I had no idea it was so affordable! :D I might have to consider that for the winter.

LannyL81 said:
....."I repacked the wheel bearings."

How do you repack the wheel bearings on a 96???...I thought they were sealed and the entire hub assembly has to be replaced?? Tell me more.....

LannyL81

I was tired, it was my wifes TA that I repacked the front wheel bearings on. Wish I knew a way around it as the front/ rear hubs are not cheap, at 70,000 miles on my LT4 so far they still seem OK, no clicking or noise, Yet.
Happy Holidays
Louis

Don't forget about the wheels needed for C5 brakes! You have to replace stockers.

Merry Christmas!
tlong

tlong said:
Don't forget about the wheels needed for C5 brakes! You have to replace stockers.

Why do you have to replace the stock wheels? The C5's have 17" front wheels. Or is it something to do with the sawblades design?

Thanks,
LannyL81

LannyL81 said:
tlong said:
Why do you have to replace the stock wheels? The C5's have 17" front wheels. Or is it something to do with the sawblades design?

Thanks,
LannyL81

Yes, I believe it does have something to do with the sawblade design

Really guys as long as there is Not a clearance problem it matters not what wheel is on your Vette. I heard the old rumor back in 1984 that you Had to use the factory wheels for heat being displaced because of the GM stock wheel design. Just a Rumor as my neighbor has Wilwood after market brakes on his 87 C4 with Fiske wheels like mine and he has had no brake problems ( rotors are not blue and same pads)for three years and 40,000 miles.

My 96 LT4 with J55 brake option is doing fine with the Fiske FM 10 wheels for 6 years now, stock pads are working great.

be careful with ceramic pads.
Yes, they dust much less b ut they also will scorch the "firepath" on your shiney new rotors.
(any brake pad will wear away the zinc coating on the rotor- and that part will rust. Rust goes away after first application of the brakes.)
But, if you use standard or semi metalic pads, you will not scorch the rotors up and they will look nicer, longer (in my book)

just hit the wheels with some compressed air or wipe em down (wheel and rotor) after you get back to your garage.. that will get most of the brake dust off.

Also, use a q-tip and put some clear hi-temperature paint in the slots and drilled holes. Keeps the brake dust from attaching to the metal when the zinc wears off.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom