Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crossfire Tuning

M

mikeyc4

Hi guys, a friend of mine has a 84 xfire vette that he wants a bit more power from,doesnt want to go down the tpi route,so we are wondering whats the best to do with these?Can you get a different inlet manifold and carb for them?Would an exhaust help?Any advice would be great,and places we can buy them from as parts over here a hard to find!

Depending on the budget...This 84 has 30K into it...You may also want him to look around the tech and FAQ section over at http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/cftest/startdefault.asp

P8230013.jpg

84 mods

I used the x-ram manifold when I rebuilt my engine. Also hooker headers. We did so many things all at once to bring the horsepower up to 400hp, that I really can't say how any one
14imq74.jpg
improvment helped.

Well i think hes got a budget of around 800 pounds,about 1500 dollars,so hes only thinking of basic mods,like exhaust,carb and manifold,ive heard about the x ram manifold,do they work with the original tbi,s?

ps where can i get a set of rocker covers like yours?

84 mods

Hi mikeyc4

As I mentioned we did everything at once about 5 years ago. Engine,transmission and rear end change. So it is hard to say how any one improvment worked. I did use the x-ram manifold which allows you to use the original injectors. We rebuilt them but made no other impovments there. As I have read many times, and agree with. Your first place to start is the exhaust. We choose Hooker Block Hugger headers, then installed true dual exhaust. The car really breaths and sounds wonderful now. I would also say it sure seems to flow more now through the x-ram, and it looks nice. The install wasn't to bad either.
I ordered my valve covers through Ecklers several years ago, I do not know if they are still available.
Good luck with any mods you and your friend make, and I hope they bring you some of the excitment mine have for me.

MATT

Great link to sources not available when I went to TPI.

You'd do well to spend a fair bit of time researching who can program the chip for a hotter X-Ram setup to both deliver the performance expected from the mods, and to get it properly running. Anyone can bolt stuff on, but it can be a chore to find someone capable of getting the ECM squared away, afterwards, as it will need.

BTW, I was repeatedly told, and when I looked at the tiny intake ports, I agreed, that the X-ram had severe CFM limitations due to them. I could not see where material could be removed to improve it, but the photos seem to say other. Enlarging the TBs will do little or nothing w/o larger ports to pass that air.

Buying the aftermark intake may be cheaper than getting the X-ram properly reworked. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom