Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Cruise Control Works, But Keeps Accelerating!!

Silver81Vette

Corvette
1981 Silver T-Top (St. Louis Car)
I was out the other day, and was just messing around and thought of setting the cruise control... i set it, at about 55-60 mph, next thing I know, the thing takes off, and im doing 70....75....80, and keep climbing. I freak out, thinking the accelerator is stuck and thought I was gonna die. Anyone know how to fix this??? The car still runs great, but I dont use the cruise control, but if im going to restore this car, i want everything to work properly. Thanks !

I was out the other day, and was just messing around and thought of setting the cruise control... i set it, at about 55-60 mph, next thing I know, the thing takes off, and im doing 70....75....80, and keep climbing. I freak out, thinking the accelerator is stuck and thought I was gonna die. Anyone know how to fix this??? The car still runs great, but I dont use the cruise control, but if im going to restore this car, i want everything to work properly. Thanks !

There is an adjustment for this on the unit. A vacuum fitting I believe, that you adjust in and out to set it. It does sound like it's messed up. Rebuild it, or buy a rebuilt. All the vendors have them for $100. or so.:)

Glad you brought it up. I have a similar problem with my 82. The cruise works great - - until I hit a section of real rough road. Then it starts accelerating until I shut it off. Reset it, and it's okay again until the next big bump or rought section of road. Wierd.

HA HA! Sorry! Too funny! There was a comic in the 60's that used to do a schtick with that line. Made me smile - thanks!:boogie

FWIW... I won't be using the unit in my 81 since I converted it over to manual. But, I remember not liking it when I did use it as an automatic. But, mine doesn't have the CCC, so that may have something to do with why I didn't care for it. Dunno if it's relevant.

Leave it off. Drive your vette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom