Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

D@mn targa top!

Dukeallen

Corvette
1989 Bright Red Coupe
We've had the 89 two weeks, and three times I've gone out and tried to get the roof off. I spent over an hour tonight, had the rear bolts out, doors open with windows down, all the things in the manual. I even tried running a plastic wedge along the weatherstrip to pop it out, no good! It will not budge at all!:mad
Any ideas? Or am I looking at taking it to a $hop for something lame?

Did you take the front bolts out ? Pull the visor down and look for the hole. You have the black tool that came with you car.

After you make sure you have the front bolts out make sure the car is parked on level ground not a hill or slope. I know it sounds basic but I heard of people having problems if the car isnt on a level surface. Double check the front bolts to make sure they are backing out? Hope eveything works out!

We've had the 89 two weeks, and three times I've gone out and tried to get the roof off. I spent over an hour tonight, had the rear bolts out, doors open with windows down, all the things in the manual. I even tried running a plastic wedge along the weatherstrip to pop it out, no good! It will not budge at all!:mad
Any ideas? Or am I looking at taking it to a $hop for something lame?

are you SURE that you;re unscrewing the front bolts all the way? Under the sun visor? In the correct hole for the fronts? at least 6-8 full turns out? maybe more? you must be unscrewing the wrong front bolts....The ones you want are hidden under the trim panel. Access them thru a small hole by sticking the tool straight UP into the bolt head.
Once the 4 bolts are removed or backed all the way out, there is Nothing else holding it down.

Not trying to be a smart ass...but 4 bolts and the thing practically pops off. The work comes in setting it back and getting bolts started sometimes...but even that is do-able with only one person worst case. The car needs to be level when re-mounting.

Yep, back bolts totally out, front bolts just flopping up and down, completely loose. I get the feeling that maybe the guy I bought it from did something to it (armor all? Some other cleaner?) and the weatherstripping is sticking...or something. Some of the trim was sticky, looked like when they had it off they spilled soda on it, maybe that's it?
Gives me actual nightmares about accidentally ripping the weatherstripping out and having to replace it all.:W
This thing is totally stuck, no matter how hard I've pushed and pulled on it. Just rocks the car!
I wrote the last guy, if he doesn't help then I can't think of anything but shelling out for a mechanic or body shop to help. Or just start making friends with weightlifters to give it a pull :rotfl

There are a lot of speed bumps in my 'hood, I think I'll bounce around them a while and see if that helps :L
That and take it to a nice flat parking lot, maybe the ol drive way just isn't as flat as it feels :eyerole

Use a thin cheap Teflon spatula with some Armoral on it and start on a corner to work the weather seal loose. Chink the lose corner as you go across the front so it can't come back down. Go slow and it should come free without major seal damage. Now if it was glued down you may be at a point where new seals are require to make it removable again. Even if it is glued down it can be removed without totally destroying the seals.

There were times I could have glued the roof down on the flexible flyer I had but just couldn't do it. Then the C5 came out and it was history.

Good luck :thumb it only gets better.

DAD, I tried the spatula but didn't think of the armor all, thanks. I don't think it's really glued on, but I do think something was spilled on it and that aint helping me get it out.

Just got an email back from the last owner saying he had to hit the top "REALLY HARD" to get it unstuck, and that he only took it off the one time when I test drove it. Makes me wonder why it should be so hard...and would have been nice to know it before :eyerole

You do know the front of the roof needs to come up first then pull forward slightly. My 90's roof will not come off or go back on unless the car is dead nuts level but the 92's roof doesn't much care.

Rex it doesn't move at all. Up over side wise or anything else. The only thing left to me is check how level it is, I thought my driveway was ok but will go down the street and park it. Which would be a pain in the a$$ if I have to do that every time I go out.

SO Bay has a good idea. I just have a nasty feeling someone glued the weather stripping on/down and the glue is migrating in the summer heat. If it has been glued, I don't think you'll have much choice except replacement.

wow..>!
I am kinda baffled.:confused I have seen a top kinda stick before, but NEVER act like it was actually "stuck" in place...Usually its the exact opposite.

Having a "flex-frame" as some like to call it CAN work to your advantage. But re-mounting may be challenging. It is POSSIBLE this car has been scratched and the "A" pillar might be tweaked out of shape a bit, binding the roof. Was the weatherstrip supposed to be new? Could they have been sloppy with the 3M adheasive? If so, it'll never come off...:chuckle That stuff is called "yellow peril" for a reason. Even if the front/top weatherstrip is damaged, its one of the easiest to replace...about $150 for that piece, but easy to do.
To see if the car was wrecked and might have some frame damage, look along the windshield for a pretty factory seal, and look carefully at the door edges for signs of repair. Look at the seams along all the body sections..they should be perfect. They sure are when GM rolls them off the line.

What you can try and its totally up to you, remove all the bolts, all 4, ;) then drive the car in/out of the driveway and turn the wheel as you roll up/down across the rise or dip at the edge of the street and your driveway. If that don;t pop the top off then its welded!
Just do NOT drive it far without the bolts....it'll fly off and behead the next guy,. and some have flown off from the bolts being left out or the top simply breaking while the car was in flight.

Whats puzzeling is you WATCHED it being done, so its not some swindle the other guy is pulling...spilling a pepsi across the whole top trim is'nt enough to glue a top on that has the extreme physical stress that this car has on its roof.

Keep in mind the frame and the "A" pillar will twist when the car rolls onto a ramp and/or the steering wheels are turned to extremes. We fight this and we're willing (somewhat willing) to suffer harsh suspensions trying to prevent that natural effect of the C-4 frame.

You might try jacking up one corner of the car(using the correct jack locations, of course) to put the chassis in a bind. It may break the seal loose;shrug

So. the previous owner took the top off for you and you saw the car without the top?

My first instinct would be that the top probably leaked and someone put some type of sealer trying to get it to stop leaking. But I doubt that is the issue if to PO took it off for you.

Just be careful driving around without the bolts in place, you don't want to become a member of the FRC (Flying Roof Club).:chuckle

You guys have me a little scared now lol :eek:hnoes
Weatherstripping looks original, or at least old. Good condition but starting to look rough. Carfax was clean on it saying no reported accidents, and I didn't see any sign of accidents or rough treatment, but the fact that the guy that sold it to me said he had to whack it to get it off still makes me wonder.
I'll try a few of these ideas over the weekend.
Thanks for all the suggestions:thumb

Just trying to help and make sure the obvious has been taken care of...cause if it has'nt, its gonna be one of US thats looking silly...:L

You get a pass for being a new owner.

we're here to help.

Just trying to help and make sure the obvious has been taken care of...cause if it has'nt, its gonna be one of US thats looking silly...:L

You get a pass for being a new owner.

we're here to help.

I know, and thanks:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom