Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dana 44 in an '84?

WhalePirot

Corvette
1984 White Z-51/ZF6-40/Shinoda body
Dana 4 in an '84?

Ugh!

I put too much power thru my Dana 36 and broke the (aftermarket) 3.73 gears. I would rather not do this again, so I am seeking expert input as to the best way to go.

I occasionally drive hard on the street and may drag sometime, just to see what it'll do. I don't side step the clutch and try to be rahter easy on the equipment. I do get some chattering with this clutch, but am mastering a smoother launch.

I need ideas/experience for strong gears for the 36 or input about and availability of a 44.

I am 500+, flywheel, in torque and HP.

TIA. Mike

A 36 with a manual? When did they start using the 44's for manuals and 36's for autos only then Mike? :confused

All I know is that my receipt for this rear lists Dana 36 gears. Staying with this rear end would be lots cheaper, if I can get strong enough gears. Also, I intend to drop the ratio to 3.36 plus or minus.

I MAY do steel half shafts, too.

Some guy in NY, on e-Bay says there are some mods to fit a 44 in the C-4.

What? I gotta answer my own question??

From Tracy Performance Corvette
The C-4 Dana 36 was the only axle available in 1984 Corvettes. In 1985, Chevrolet brought out the Dana 44 which was similar to the 80-82 Corvette axle, but not interchangeable. The Dana 44 axle is considerably stronger, but not indestructible. The Dana 36 and the Dana 44 axles were used through 1996.

For a quick summation, you have to change the Dana 36 automatic style rear axle assembly with the stub axles and the rear axle cover to Dana 44 manual transmission style axle parts. Also the front support bracket has to be changed to a Dana 44 unit which is constructed or modified to fit the your automatic or manual transmission. The driveshaft should also be changed or shortened to the proper length. You can use the same half shaft assemblies. And don't forget to install the lubricant!

We can build you various ratios of axles for whatever application you desire and also provide proper speedometer conversions.

There ya go Mike! :upthumbs

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom