Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dash resto question

ratflinger

Corvette
1979 Black Coupe, 396 SBC
As would be expected, the dash in my '79 is not in the best shape. I've seen two options (three, if do nothing is included). MidAm has a skin that fits over the current dash & CA/Ecklers has a repro dash. Any opinions on either of these two choices? If I replace the dash completely I assume it is a huge job. I am not doing a total reproduction, but I am still throwing a lot of money at this car, so the price difference between the two options is not a factor.

My opinion. I wouldn't buy the skin that goes right over the dash. If I were you I would definitively buy the repro. It will look alot better and Brand new.

I know it could take a bit longer and more work. but it will look alot better

By the way. I'll do the same to my car.

C4 owner here, but had an '80 that I bought new. I saw your post and had to reply. There is an old saying and it goes something like this: "The longest road is the shortest and the shortest road is the longest". I would go with the repro, it will take much more time but it will be the better solution. I have done a lot of resto work on the musclecar era cars and I have found that you always end up taking more time and spending more money than if you just did it right the first time. Hope this helps.

I just had a repo dash installed in an 80. Not too happy. Repo dashes have a long history of poor quality and fit. Knowing this, I purchased one from the company that has the best reputation for real quality in corvette interiors. It turned out to have the very same problems the dashes have always had. I have seen one recommendation for having your original dash rebuilt by a company called Just Dashes. They strip your old dash and instal new foam and vinyl. Supposedly do super work. Other option is to buy a used original pad
and dye it to your color

Thanks for the tip on Just Dashes, never knew they were out there! And I agree with replacing it, I've had mine out and it's not that bad. Just expect it to be time consuming, take your time and don't get frustrated.

Bill

http://www.justdashes.com/

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom