Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer News: 2002 Corvette Lug Nuts – Production Running Change

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Sep 16, 2000
Messages
13,762
Location
New Hampshire
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
To: All Chevrolet Dealers

In an effort to improve quality from lost plastic covers and enhance overall exterior appearance, a running change is being made to 2002 Corvette lug nuts. The current plastic caps will be eliminated and replaced with a new stainless steel overlay lug nut (#9595165). The locking nuts and key are eliminated and dealer installation is no longer required. If the customer so desires, a matching locking set is available thru GM SPO, part #12497482.

Please note this change stops the reimbursement for dealer installation of the locking lug nuts.

Also, an owners manual insert is added to replace page 6-52 that adds ‘(If Equipped)’ under the Using the Wheel Lock key section. Please check to make sure the insert is included on delivery.

Chevrolet Corvette Team
 
N

nicks99c5

Guest
Lost locking lug nut key

OK, but I've either lost, misplace, or never been given the locking lug nut key to my 99C5. I've never had a need to take off the tires as I only have 17,000 miles on it. How can I get a replacement key? Thank you.
 

fhturner

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
218
Location
Birmingham, AL
Corvette
'00 Torch Red Cpe, 6spd, '90 Red/Saddle ZR-1 #279
New reply to an old post:

Rob said:
In an effort to improve quality from lost plastic covers and enhance overall exterior appearance, a running change is being made to 2002 Corvette lug nuts. The current plastic caps will be eliminated and replaced with a new stainless steel overlay lug nut (#9595165). The locking nuts and key are eliminated and dealer installation is no longer required. If the customer so desires, a matching locking set is available thru GM SPO, part #12497482.

I have a new (to me) 2000 Coupe with the polished aluminum wheels, which are missing 6 lug nut covers. Even though this bulletin says 2002, can I assume that these "new stainless steel overlay lug nuts" will work with/look fine on my 2000 model? Should I just replace all of my existing lugs + covers with these new lugs for the "enhanced appearance" and to avoid lost caps in the future? Also, is it recommended to get the locking nuts for security? And does the "set" include 1 nut or 4?

Thanks,
Fred
 
Joined
May 10, 2002
Messages
2,254
Location
Boise, Idaho
Corvette
2002 electron blue Z06
Re: Lost locking lug nut key

nicks99c5 said:
OK, but I've either lost, misplace, or never been given the locking lug nut key to my 99C5. I've never had a need to take off the tires as I only have 17,000 miles on it. How can I get a replacement key? Thank you.

Open the rear hatch covers and look in the space btween the center and driver side hatches. That is where mine was. The dealer should be able to get a new 'key' for you. There are only so many, and they would certainly need one of each in their service department. You just need to know which one to order.
 

fhturner

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
218
Location
Birmingham, AL
Corvette
'00 Torch Red Cpe, 6spd, '90 Red/Saddle ZR-1 #279
Hey Everyone--

I'm about ready to order these stainless steel lug nuts for my Vette, but I wanted to try to find out an answer about the locking "set". Can anybody tell me:

1. Is it recommended to get the locking nuts for security?

2. Does the "set" include 1 nut or 4?

Thanks,
Fred
 

Grumpy

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 23, 2001
Messages
58
Location
Ooltewah, Tennessee
Corvette
2002 Pewter Coupe
They come 4 to the set, along with a key.. locking nuts do just that, but if the bad guys want the wheels, they get em..
 

fhturner

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
218
Location
Birmingham, AL
Corvette
'00 Torch Red Cpe, 6spd, '90 Red/Saddle ZR-1 #279
Grumpy said:
They come 4 to the set, along with a key.. locking nuts do just that, but if the bad guys want the wheels, they get em..

Thanks, Grumpy! Good to know that I should not order 4 "sets" and wind up with 16 locking nuts! Let me re-ask my first question in a different way :) :

Do you have the locking nuts on your machine? If you were buying a set of lug nuts, would you buy the the locking set?

Thanks!
Fred
 

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom